Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the tread describing the project. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120741
I just wanted to have a nice Bronco that could be driven anywhere without worry, play in the dunes once or twice a year, tow a car hauler, and have it look good while doing it......... The powertrain was upgraded with the "best" factory parts I could find and just a few select aftermarket parts, not looking to make huge numbers, just having a good torque band and be able to run with a 93-95 Lightning. The engine is a 100% stock short-block with a 85-88 Mustang HO cam, GT40 iron heads with the exhaust cleaned up and a good valve job, 1.7 Cobra roller rockers, Edelbrock 5.8 EFI intake, BBK 56MM Throttle body and a 90mm Lightning MAF. The exhaust is full Bassani with Cat. The trans is a E4OD with 7.3 planets (pre-4R100) and a Navigator convertor. The axles have 4.10 gears.
It made a peak of 307TQ @ 3500RPM and [email protected] 4300 RPM. BUT the torque is FLAT 280TQ starting @ 2100RPM and only dipping below that after 4500RPM! The HP starts coming strong @2500RPM with 150 and smoothly climbs to 4300RPM and drops after 4800RPM....... On the same dyno a stock 93-95 Lightnings put out 190HP/280TQ on the average and near the same numbers after all the bolt-ons (pullies, headers, exhaust, K&N, 13-14degree timing....), but they don't have the transfercase, 47lb tires and driveshaft angle the Bronco has!
Going down the road it feels GREAT for a bunch of "junkyard" parts (except the intake and exhaust). Hope to get some 1/4 mile times within a week or 2. Mike

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
sounds like a great truck motor, nice job

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
did you do a before dyno pull? what a/f ratio you running? can post up the dyno sheet?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have a before on this exact truck. A friends all stock 95 351 4x4 truck made 151HP/253TQ a few years ago at a different dyno, but still a DynoJet. I will have to scan the sheet before I can post it. The A/F was right about 12.8 with dips to 12.2 and as high as 13.0.....

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Good numbers. Nice sig.

Reading threads like this gets me excited on my 460 build. I'm hopefully gonna get a hp and tq rating somewhere in 550hp/680tq range. It's gonna be sometime before I can get a start on it tho.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
sick!

·
Registered
326 Posts
SVOMike, was the 90mm Lightning MAF a remove and replace part?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can't remember the name of the company right now. There is a mass air sensor company, Pro-M maybe, that will build a mass air tube for you. It costs about $200. I thought I could find a Mark VIII or Mustang Cobra mass air sensor tube in the junkyard and use it on my truck for a fraction of the price.

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Would be interesting to see the torque curve with a low RPM cam, like a Cobra or Explorer.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Would be interesting to see the torque curve with a low RPM cam, like a Cobra or Explorer.
They look good and high until about 3000 RPM typically, then start to fall on their face. They're not nearly as flat as the curve a Mustang camshaft yields.

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
300 at the rear wheels in a bronco!? that is awesome. that torque curve is sick as well. just what you need in our rigs!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm collecting Parts right now for a 408 stroker build but with the same idea, a reliable motor that can be driven daily but with a little extra something so I can have fun on freeway on ramps and dickheads in traffic ;)
I'm thinking 408 stroker kit from eagle (which I already bought)
GT40 Iron heads with some porting an Edelbrock Truck 5.8 intake frord Racing E303 Cam and Fordracing shorty headers.
I hope to yield numbers close to 300hp and 425-450 ft lbs

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
E303 == :barf

You will NOT be happy with that camshaft in a heavy truck.

·
89 Problems
2,555 Posts
typically, when you go for horsepower, things become less fun on the street. IMO, truck motors should be designed for low end torque, low RPM power, because that's where you wanna keep em, right? i mean, who wants to run at 5 grand just to get moving!

more hp= less low end torque, less streetability, shorter life (due to higher RPM requirements). i have done lots of research lately about building engines, and have decided that BIGGER valves, LUMPIER cams, and super-high compression ratios just are not what anyone wants for driving on the street.

but hey, i'm no expert!

i'm not even going to go into carburetors and intakes, or exhaust sizes/ backpressure... or fuel injection system modifications due to higher flow requirements, but i would like to mention they are just as important.

the setup that SVOmike is talking about really came out well. well done dude!:thumbup

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
They look good and high until about 3000 RPM typically, then start to fall on their face. They're not nearly as flat as the curve a Mustang camshaft yields.
I'll rephrase. :)

Every HO cam dyno I've seen peaks around 3200 RPM and dies at 5000. At 2000 RPM they are down 50 ft-lbs from peak. It would be nice to see how much of a difference an Explorer or Cobra cam (which produce more low end torque) would do to the torque curve where I drive, i.e., below 3000 rpm. I don't think I've ever wound my 351W above 4500 RPM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.