Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else gotten one? I ordered it from my Snapon guy and it came today. We used it a little and it definitely does what it says! Just wanted to see anyone else's experience with using one?

Here's a picture of it. This isn't the brand I got but gives you an idea

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It uses magnets to superheat the metal you're surrounding. My shop is at a gas station so I can't have torches, so no more fire. I got the miniductor II flameless heat system. So far it works like a champ. Gets bolts red hot in seconds!

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Interesting, I have never seen that as well. As for the cost if it does the job with no hot sparks flying around it seems like it would be worth it. The Oxy/Acetylene tanks need to be refilled when empty, probably wouldn't take long to pay for itself.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
How much does one cost? $300-$400?I am guessing it doesn't cut steel either but being able to heat frozen bolts with out having a flame would be handy when you have fuel lines and wiring around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love mine. It gets used everytime I do a brake job on one of the buses. Calipers are held on by six very large bolts that require a 30mm socket to remove. All six have to be reinstalled with red loctite. No torch allowed due to brake dust and close proximity of hub seals. They used to suck getting loose. Now I put the coil around the head, hit the button till it's red and they remove with a normal wrench.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine was $600, but I got it through my SnapOn guy, so I know he took a cut >:C

I don't think it will cut, but I am using it for loosening crazy tight bolts and sheaths on tie rods to do alignments. So far it has paid for itself in just aggravation!

·
Registered
382 Posts
it does do it with magnetic fluxing, but does it by quickly switching the current direction in the wire coil, so both of the above are right(or half right)

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Some other guys were talking about this the other day at work. Said it really worked well, especially on stubborn rusted on bolts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Neat tool.
I've never heard of it before either but I would prefer the cheaper torch set up and with propane (even cheaper). If all you're doing is heating the bolt to loosen it up, you don't have to worry about igniting any fuel unless you are in the habit of keeping a bucket of gas beside you or work beside the pumps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts