Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmisionaly challenged
OK, so I was driving down the free way about 40 minutes ago at about 55 MPH when I shifted manually from drive to OD. I had the stereo on quite loud so I may have heard a pop noise, not sure. Anyways once in OD it just reved up, the tranny wasn't grabbing. So I shifted down to drive and the same thing, that is until The RPMs matched the speed of the tranny as if it were in 2nd gear. I pulled over when I had a chance. I checked the fluid, it is a little high (about 1/4"-3/8" over full), big deal. I installed a shift kit about 11 months ago so the fluid was clean as expected. Rather than call a tow truck I drove it home.

So the whole way it would drive like it was in second gear, but if I let my foot of the gas, the RPMs dropped from 3200 (about 50 MPH) to about 2000. Then when I put on the gas there was no respnse from the tranny until it reached around 3200 RPM.

I called the tranny shop that rebuilt it 4 1/2 years ago and he figures it was the torque converter or the shaft that broke. Does anybody else have any ideas? I have a farked back but I would consider working on it if it was a matter of dropping the valve body.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Well walt lets look here.

I Pulled out my trans junk. Going by the powerflow chart the only thing that 3Rd and 4th have in common is your direct clutch set. in third the direct clutch applies then for fourth the overdrive band applies however you lost both due to the clutch isn't grabbing.
1.) Now that could be valve body related,
2.) could be blown clutch discs
3.)leaking clutch piston seal on direct clutch
4.) low pump pressure.

You could have all the gear cept for this if the pump pressure is weak. Check it with a 0-150psi gauge at the test port. Driver side of the trans just behind the shift linkage above the pan rail. At idle in neutral or drive you should see 55-65 psi then in reverse it should be 75-90psi. That's really all you can check without tearing it down but there is a start to what's wrong just narrowing it down is the next step! :rockon

Hope that helps :toothless

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have that gauge you mentioned, Manny, how much for one and what is it called? If it isn't too expensive I'll pick one up. If it can be used for checking the pressure in my fuel rail, I'll definitely buy one.

It happened so suddenly. There was absolutely no warning, like something broke. The tranny guy I talked to mentioned that shaft for OD, if it broke it would cause what happened.

I think a clutch would give me warning, wouldn't it?
I looked in my useless hanes manual and it doesn't have a blow up of the tranny, so I can't even try and figure it out myself.

So you think the low pump pressure would be enough to isolate just 3rd and OD? Also if it is the pump, the tranny would still have to come out, right?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Try an e-mail to these guys;

lentechautomatics.com

or hunt Miesk5's site for those transmission forums he has listed there. Sorry to hear about your stripped spline

Sixlitre

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clear up what the symptoms are. If I am in drive, the truck will shift from 1st to second but not from 2nd to 3rd. and if I coast while in drive, the RPMs will drop to where it should be if I were in third. Now if I give it gas, the tranny wont grab until it reaches a higher RPM equal to tranny being in second gear. But if I shift into OD, the Idle drops down to 700 RPM as if it were in neutral. Now if I step on the gas, the only response I get is increased RPMs but no response from the tranny. I revved it up to 5000 RPM and nothing. Drop it back down to drive and it's back to revving until a high RPM is reached (like it is in second).

It's in the shop now. I'll post what the problem was as soon as I find out.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
waltman said:
I don't have that gauge you mentioned, Manny, how much for one and what is it called? If it isn't too expensive I'll pick one up. If it can be used for checking the pressure in my fuel rail, I'll definitely buy one.

It happened so suddenly. There was absolutely no warning, like something broke. The tranny guy I talked to mentioned that shaft for OD, if it broke it would cause what happened.

I think a clutch would give me warning, wouldn't it?
I looked in my useless hanes manual and it doesn't have a blow up of the tranny, so I can't even try and figure it out myself.

So you think the low pump pressure would be enough to isolate just 3rd and OD? Also if it is the pump, the tranny would still have to come out, right?

One the gauge is any pressure gauge in that pressure range with teh right pipe fitting. Two it could be a failed direct clutch shaft. Then if the clutches usually slip before failing unless they shattered. Shaft could have failed. If the pump went then the trans still has to come out.:rockon

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the tranny shop and he said it was the torque converter that broke and he replaced the over drive band while he was in there. He said it was "spotty" whatever that means but since the OD band wears out quickly, I was ok with it. He's waiting for a new converter to come in, my bronco should be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to see the converter for myself so I can better understand what happened.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
That same thing happened to me on my Crown Vic and all it was was the TV cable came loose from the TB. Put on a new plastic bushing and all was well again.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RLKBOB said:
That same thing happened to me on my Crown Vic and all it was was the TV cable came loose from the TB. Put on a new plastic bushing and all was well again.
Really? you lost both the OD and drive? That's good thing to remember. I never checked my TV cable, but I doubt that applies to my situation. The guy working on my tranny did the rebuild 4 years ago and he seems straight up. If he is anything like last time, he will have the broken torque converter handy to show me what happened.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
waltman said:
I can't wait to see the converter for myself so I can better understand what happened.
You stripped the teeth out of the spline is what happened. As for the TV cable bushing and pin, don't screw around with a plastic one. Go to the stealership and get the brass one;

For a buck and put all doubt to rest. Get a spare for the underhood toolbox too. Part #F3SZ-7H303-B

Sixlitre

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mother fracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frack! I just picked up my truck, and it cost me $930. The headers added a couple of hundred to the price. He said he ended taking the pipes right out.

Now I remember why I learned to do this stuff myself. Oh well, at least I got my baby back. It works like a charm. The guy showed me what happened and it wasn't the splines, rather the part in the TC broke right off. If you look inside, you can see the part the spline goes into, flop around.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
for that cost you could have done all that shit yourself. but glad you got it back man

ken

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imlikeojnow said:
for that cost you could have done all that shit yourself. but glad you got it back man

ken
I would have, but I screwed up my back last year, so I stay away from anything that could make it worse. Mind you if it ever happens again, at least I'll know what it is.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
hmmm okay still good you got it fixed. if you werent in the north country i would have helped you out.

ken

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imlikeojnow said:
hmmm okay still good you got it fixed. if you werent in the north country i would have helped you out.

ken
I believe you would, and I appreciate that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts