Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short. I have a 16 ft tandem trailer and its been setting in the back yard for way too long to the point the tires are flat and a couple planks of wood are broken. I remember the wheels were rusted and caused the tires to not be able to seal and stay up. I get the bright idea to rebuild the trailer. meaning new tires, paint wood and lights. Surely these things cost about 1500 new so I thought I would do it myself and save a bunch of money.
I get on CR and fine 5 brand new goodyear wranglers on 2010 jeep rims. 5 lug. They looked like they would fit so I jumped on them for 300. I priced new tires on my old rusted out rims and they wanted 450 for a set of cheapos. So I get home with these take offs with less than 6 miles on them and they dont fit my trailer hubs. So.....I go get new hubs to fit my new nive rims/tires. Once I installed all the hubs I find out that the back spacing is wrong and the tire rubb the inside of the trailer finder and shackle. So I put a lug nut on each lug and install the rim on top of them thinking I could use them as spacers. They barely fit to the point that I wa not comfortable. I needed alittle more space. However my lugs holding the rims on are about flushed out on the stud. I mean I got several rounds of thread holding th rim on but the lug nut is flush with the end of the lug. So today I go and buy wheel spacers. Tonight when I get home i will see if this is my solution. The tire guys says my problem is I am trying to run a 16 in rims with a 5 on 5 lug pattern. To date I hve 300 in tires/rims, 80 in spacers, 120 in hubs, 50 in led lights, 50 in paint and 150 in wood. total price so far 750 bucks and I still am not sure my wheels will go on the trailer. My only other choice IF they dont go on safely is to knock the studs out and replace them with longer studs and dual spacers (which the tire guy high discourages)....this is how my luck goes anytime I start a quick easy project. Anyone got any advice? LOL

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Sell everything buy a new trailor? You may only be out a few more hundred but hey you got the experiance from this. No, but why not just use different axles? or is your trailor 4wheel indepentant suspension.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I would have spent the money on the correct stuff in the first place.

But Hey thats just me :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
The problem here is the tire and wheel package. You have $500.00 in a very dangerous combo that is going to be a ticking time bomb. With spacers you will overload the wheel bearing, and lose a wheel on the road somewhere.
You dont want this, I can assure you.
Trailers can get way out of control on three wheels, especially when the one that falls off hits someone, or several other vehicles, because you lost it on the freeway. It wont stop with just one car, it will hit several and will undoubtedly cause another accident.
You do not want this liability.

Stop trying to fix a problem and creating more of a problem when the real fix, is to simply fix the original problem in the first place.
Get the right tire and wheel package. This would have been cheaper in the long run.
You can find tire and wheel packages for less than $100.00 (US) each. I have purchased a package not long ago, that included a fifth tire and wheel for $440.00 (US). Thats five tires and wheels, ready to go, for less than you have in your used tires, different hubs, and spacer package you have going on there.
You could widen the axle, but then the tires would stick out of the fenders, and then you will have a problem with the local law, because your trailer tires are sticking out.
See, the problems just compound because you tried to save a couple bucks and ended up spending more than you would have, had you just looked for some trailer tires.

Here is a random link for such packages. With a little shopping, you could probably find some for less than the advertised $90.00 per tire and wheel package:

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com...heelTire-Combo-5-on-4-12_p_193.html&catid=263

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
Since your this deep in.
Cut the axles in the middle widen and sleeve them,move the axle spring pads back to stock width.
would only take a couple hours work.Tires will fit with out spacers and be safe.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...So I am taking the spacers back $85,
I am taking the new hubs back 136.96, (putting my other hubs back on)
I sold the new tires/rims (from CR) I bought for 300 sold for 150.
Which will net my return in total of 371.96. of the $521 I spent.

I just bought new tires/rims for $432.

My net loss is $210 and time and a dirty shop. lesson learned.
I hate projects that turn out like this...

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hey go figure doing it right was cheaper :) Go figure...

Just give ya a hard time :)

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
So why didn't you change the tires over onto the other rims? Was the trailer tires 15s and the tires you bought 16s? (What I'm guessing anyway...) If they where the same size, you shoulda just changed the tires over to the trailer rims...but like I said, I can only assume that they where not the same size...

Sucks, I hate projects like that...piss ya off, and make you hesitant to do other projects that you know could turn out the same way...

KC

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rims I got on CR were 16 and with a 5x5 bolt pattern. To change rims to a trailer rim with correct back spacing I would have to change to a 8 bolt pattern. They tell me cars are the only thing that comes with 16 in tires and above with 5 bolts. Either way I have cut my losses. It just kills me to see a trailer from time to time on CR for a grand and I am busting my nuts to referb one for 750....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts