Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this box a little over amonth ago and it must be cursed because it has been nothing but a pain in the ass!!!!!!

- Been chasing an electrical issue for weeks!!!! Damn thing eats batteries if I leave positive cable on overnight. Alternator is fine, no short found yet!!

- Had a windshield leak that took me 2 attempts to stop. Finally scraped out the old sealant across the top and put in new silicone.

- Damn driver's seat arm rest just friggin fell down while driving!!!!!

And then today, weather is nice, it rained and no windsheild leak. And after grabbing a good breakfast sandwich and returning home for a good day of work.....hhhsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear this when I jump out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I scramble to see if it is from the engine compartment, nope.

Checked front tires, nope.

It was teh rear passenger tire...picked up a @$#[email protected]#!!! piece of metal between th tread and sidewall!!!!!!! And I probably won't be able to plug that there!!!!!! DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whiteflag

:banghead

:wacko

·
Registered
92 Posts
it's a love hate relationship just like a woman. they can be a pain in the ass and give you a hard time but you still enjoy having them around for the good times! only difference for me is i've gotten rid of a few women in my past but i just can't bring myself to get rid of my bronco.:thumbup

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
cant help you too much...the armrest are problems and i dont think there are any easy fixes...

the electrical problem...put your battery cable on and trying starting it multiple times...crank it like 8 serperate times but dont let it start...just tap the starter w/ the key repeatedly...chances are you will see smoke like me and it will be one of the smaller ground cables in the engine bay getting hot:shocked ...pull the main ground off the block...its on the bottom left corner behind the air pump...you can see it easily from under the front of the truck...its a 9/16 wrench...pull that off and sandpaper the ground wire and the block contact reall good...chances are that is your electrical problem...mine was doing the same thing and the melted ground wire from the upper intake to the firewall helped me discover that..

and on the tire...i had my new BFG MT's for a week and picked up a 12 inch long 1/2 inch diameter nail/spike...in the tread though...but yea it sux

dc

BTW: Hollar from the other side of the state...im in the pa/de corner of pa...:chili:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITTDAMMITDAMMITT!!!!!!!!

Went out to put on the baby spare so I could tak my time pluggingthe tire and guess what.....those funky security lugnuts are on there!!!! I have the4 key and I realize that my lugs are a bit rusty so I plan on nudging it, not forcing. But I SHOULD have sprayed it with some penetrating oil....but did I? Hell no!!!!!! And guess what? Yep the little key for the lugnut cracked!!!!!!!!

It is going to be nice as hell here for the next few days and I had looked forward to driving with all windows down and just having some damn fun with it but now I have a friggin weekend project to get the frigin wheel off!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip on the ground wire.....I will now hacve the time to check that out too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man I hear you on the frustrations. In the past month I have had:
Axle seal go bad. Need new axle shafts and bearings.
Rear brakes lock up. (see above)
Both front power window motors went out.
Heater core decided to fill my cab with coolant.
My brothers Mazda b2500 lost the clutch while visiting me this weekend.(we changed it monday)
My girlfriend and I had some problems.

You know what.....I kept the bronco and gave the old lady the boot.

Hang in there. It'll all come together eventually.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do any places sell these lugnut keys? I really do not want to try to cut this thing off.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
usually have to find out who makes them and order it...otherwise try finding a socket slightly smaller and beat it on the lock...then gently try loosening (sp?) it.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Or grind a couple of flats into it and try to take it off with a open-end wrench.

Or weld a large nut onto it and take it off that way.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I know Snap-On sells a set of sockets designed to be used when a key is lost.......

If you cant plug (I NEVER EVER use plugs, unless I am planning on throwing that tire out, or its a roadside repair) can you use a patch????

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am working with limited tools...basic crap....no grinder. But I have a drill so looks like I'll try to drill a copuld o chunks out of the sides so I can get a wrench on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Streetgang said:
I know Snap-On sells a set of sockets designed to be used when a key is lost.......

If you cant plug (I NEVER EVER use plugs, unless I am planning on throwing that tire out, or its a roadside repair) can you use a patch????
Patch has to be done from inside right?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Just a thought: Next time you have a spare 10 or 15 dollars, buy a cheap 4" grinder. There's times when they are darn useful to have around.

Good luck on the locking lug.

If you have a pipe wrench, you could also try beating a piece of pipe down over the lock, and turning it with the pipe wrench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
electircal

get a test light, take off the +batt cable and put the test light in series with the cable to batt. then start pulling one fuse at a time that narrows to what cicuit the parasidic draw is in

Fords Rule!

·
Registered
610 Posts
for the tire locks, it depends on what kind you have. I just had to have a rim cut off my old bronco II. Does the key go overtop (like a funny shaped socket) of the locking lug nuts? if so, go get a 12 point socket that almost doesnt fit on it, and pound it onwith a big hammer, then take it off from there...you may loose a few sockets (go to lowes or somewhere cheap) it all depends if you can get the lugnut back out of the socket when you get it offt. Also Pepboys etc stock those sets for when you lose the key. I'd also recomend heating the bolts a bit with a plumbers torch (you know the blue propane ones) or soaking the hell out of it with some Pblaster or the like.

If you have something else to drive, take the entire spare carrier off and take it to a tire place/walmart. They have the tool to remove MOST locking lugnuts when the keys are lost. Probably only charge you a couple of bucks at the most, or the guy will feel your pain and just do it for free...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh it's not on the spare.....it's on the truck!!!!!

I already cracked two cheap sockets on this #!#@$!$

·
Registered
610 Posts
:banghead ouch...i got 3 out of 4 tires off the old bronco II that had no key..like i said, 4th had to be cut off..it was the kind of lock that the key fit internal, so i couldnt put a socket over it..had to use a chisel etc.

Do you have a dremel? use a cutting weel and cut yourself some flats on it..then try to get it off witha wrench..some heat will def. loosen stuff up. the sockets they sell for when you lose the key need an impact gun to really work
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002T5IBA?v=glance

maybe you can loan one out?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
smileybry said:
:banghead ouch...i got 3 out of 4 tires off the old bronco II that had no key..like i said, 4th had to be cut off..it was the kind of lock that the key fit internal, so i couldnt put a socket over it..had to use a chisel etc.

Do you have a dremel? use a cutting weel and cut yourself some flats on it..then try to get it off witha wrench..some heat will def. loosen stuff up. the sockets they sell for when you lose the key need an impact gun to really work
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002T5IBA?v=glance

maybe you can loan one out?
Yeah...mine is aninternal one too......I actually got the key bent back into shape and it works for tightening but the pressure point for loosening is stripped.

Found a shop that I frequent that will let me borrow their kit......with the rule, I break it I bought it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
awesome:rockon gotta love when they help you out. Hope it all works out for you. Like i said i used some heat and a cold chisel on mine...Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts