Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1995 and the ignition key works for two front doors but does not work for the back tailgate. Not sure what happened there bit would like to get it fixed asap. I can’t seem to find a replacement online. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

· Registered
345 Posts
I have been told a single single key set exist, but I have never seen one listed for sale. Granted, I have not gone looking very hard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
11,638 Posts

· Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,783 Posts
Ignition key is square head and tailgate is round head.
This, it should of never matched, they didn't from the factory.
The glove box is also the same circle key, if I remember right. You will likely need to go-to a locksmith and have them make you a key. A good one can do this on the spot. I am not sure if possible to re-do the lock itself so that they match.

· Registered
95 EB Bronco, 5.8L
119 Posts
If you look at the end of the keys, the offset grind on the them are opposite each other. You would need to change the tailgate lock's cylinder.
I'm pretty sure it's been that way since Ford went to the double edge keys in the 60's.

· Registered
1996 Bronco - Eddie Bauer 5.8L
366 Posts
My 1996 has 2 keys. One for the ignition, the other for the doors and tailgate. This is how it came from Ford.

· Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
2,108 Posts
As the others have stated, the ignition key and the tailgate key are different. I had a locksmith make me a key for my tailgate in the parking lot of a grocery store. His time was crunched so I agreed to meet him there :)

As for the ignition and door lock keys, I too had a key for each but I wanted a single key for both the doors and ignition. I found an ignition module that you can build to match your door key so you dont have three keys for your truck. Since my ignition was worn out I decided to replace it and eliminate an extra key. I have linked it below.

· Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
207 Posts
Just bought a 1995 and the ignition key works for two front doors but does not work for the back tailgate. Not sure what happened there bit would like to get it fixed asap. I can’t seem to find a replacement online. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
Generally, the ignition key is square and door and the tailgate keys are oval. at least that is the way it is on my '90 and i believe those to be the OEM key sets.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
On my '93, the square head key unlocks the doors, and operates the ignition, and the round head key operates the tailgate window, and glove box lock.
On my '89, the round head key unlocks the doors, operates the tailgate window, and glove box lock, and the square head key operates the ignition.
That's factory. I've had to replace both ignition locks, so my '93 now has two square head keys.
That changeable ignition lock above looks appealing........

· ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
11,638 Posts
I've never seen an oval / round key for the doors, only tailgate. Always been square for doors and igniton.
Someone please show me otherwise.

And I've been driving Bronco's for 31 years...

· Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
12,111 Posts
I've never seen an oval / round key for the doors, only tailgate. Always been square for doors and igniton.

My 90 uses the round key for the doors & gate. Square for the ignition. It seemed odd, most Fords I've owned over the years used the round key only for the trunk & glovebox.

I was told it was set up that way so you could valet park the car & give the guy the ignition key, while keeping your trunk & glove box locked. In later years sometimes the interior trunk release was also lockable. I guess Ford figured anyone driving a 90 Bronco wasn't going the be using the valet. 😁

· Registered
1,215 Posts

Gimme a couple days, i'll video me opening the door of my '89 with the oval head key.
The '88 I had was that way, as was the '81........

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Gimme a couple days, i'll video me opening the door of my '89 with the oval head key.
The '88 I had was that way, as was the '81........
same here . I've had 2 Broncos. an 84 and my 91 daily driver (my dad bought the 84 new) Both were keyed this exact same way

squared key for ignition and ignition only

round key for doors \ tailgate \ glovebox \ center console

· Registered
1993 EB, 351w, E40D, factory posi-trac differentials front and rear, 99% original, 145K
14 Posts
Yup, it's a fact....square key for ignition and doors..round key (different offset) for rear window and glove-box. You will have to get a locksmith to make a new key from your tailgate/rear window lock. They do it in a few minutes. I've even doe it myself with the proper key blank. How? Take the blank and grab it into a pair of vice grips by the round grab end. Burnish the tumbler end with some steel wool to take the shine off just a little. Insert the blank into the lock and give it a few healthy twists like you're trying to unlock the item. Take it out and you will see markings from the tumblers on the blank. Using a small triangle file, file into the blank on the markings. Repeat this until the markings are gone and, viola, the key opens the unit.
My locksmith did this in 2 minutes. When I tried it, it took me 3 blanks and about 15 minutes, but I've done better since then. You can give that a whirl, or let the pros handle it.
Bottom line, your Bronco, if still OEM on the locks, takes two different keys.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
I had an '84 f250, and an '88 f150, and they were the same as my '89 fsb.
Round head key for door, glove box, square head key for ignition. In fact, I had a take apart key ring (I still use one now), and had the f250 door key on the opposite side of the ring. It had a diesel engine, and sometimes I would let it idle if going in somewhere just for a few minutes. I'd seperate the key ring, and lock the door, so no one could just hop in and drive off.

I'm rather surprised this debate is even happening, with the amount of fsbs some of you guys here have, or have had, spanning the generations. It's pretty clear that with the last original generation starting in '92, they changed the key setup, for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts