Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my re-treads, they have been awesome... but apparently I missed the memo that they are NOT meant to be driven on the highway. Just got done with a 450 mile trip yesterday and had one re-tread fly apart on me, and another one nearly do so... This happened after about 200 miles of 75-80 mph driving, so after they got real good and hot. I've had these for a year and were my favorite tires ever, no problems and I was spouting my love for them for anyone who noticed the tires...

anyhow, just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who may have missed the memo like me, that re-treads should not be driven at sustained highway speeds...

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Yeah I'd like to know which retreads these are. I know a lot of people using Treadwells and they are fantastic for all kind of driving. Hmmm. I'd like to buy a set but they discontinued the size I want.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
yeah im currious ive been thinking of ordering some treadwrights guard dog mt e ratings for my bronco tax return time

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Who made them?

·
Registered
93 Posts
my brother runs retreads on his blazer for plowing and he tried to get me to put them on the bronc.. i laughed at his ass. the danger if they blow out at highway speeds isnt worth it.

I'd pass on them and go with virgin rubber..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Retreads

I have been running Treadright retreads on my Excursion for 3 years. I have 285/75/16 Warden AT (they look like classic BFG AllTerrains) in load range E and I love them. I am on my 2nd set and average about 30,000 miles on a set of tires. Great considering they are half the price of new BFG's. I have had 1 problem with a belt shifting, but that was due to the Nitto carcass, not the retreading process. They sent me a new tire no charge, and it happened 11 months after I bought the first set of tires. I pull a 25 foot camper or a 20 foot car hauler so I do work the tires, trailers are #8000 and #9000 respectively. I will be buying retreads as long as I have a vehicle that they have the right size tires for. Also, I live in Florida so I get them REALLY hot running 80ish:D on the interstate. I don't know where anyone got the idea they are not for highway use, most 18 wheelers are running retreads on our highways every day.
Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
A friend of mine put a set of treadwrights on his dodge and loves them. They drive great, no pulls, and balanced well. All of his are the bfg all terrain tread pattern and have ALOT of tread on them(more than a normal bfg). Also, all of his carcasses are bfg all terrains.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have been running Treadright retreads on my Excursion for 3 years. I have 285/75/16 Warden AT (they look like classic BFG AllTerrains) in load range E and I love them. I am on my 2nd set and average about 30,000 miles on a set of tires. Great considering they are half the price of new BFG's. I have had 1 problem with a belt shifting, but that was due to the Nitto carcass, not the retreading process. They sent me a new tire no charge, and it happened 11 months after I bought the first set of tires. I pull a 25 foot camper or a 20 foot car hauler so I do work the tires, trailers are #8000 and #9000 respectively. I will be buying retreads as long as I have a vehicle that they have the right size tires for. Also, I live in Florida so I get them REALLY hot running 80ish:D on the interstate. I don't know where anyone got the idea they are not for highway use, most 18 wheelers are running retreads on our highways every day.Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...
winner winner chicken dinner :tinfoil

·
Registered
8 Posts
sounds like the OP got a hold of a bad set of tires, or he hit something/damaged a tire somewhere previously and it didn't show up until heating the tire and the force of highway driving was put on it.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
I don't know where anyone got the idea they are not for highway use, most 18 wheelers are running retreads on our highways every day.
Only on the drive axles, not on the steering axles btw. The steering tires and drive tires are 2 totally different designs. I used to sell 22.5's

Also a lot of people will vouch for treadwright, if they were done by an independent company yea, I wouldn't trust them. Treadwright is the only reliable source for retreads, and I know a handful of people had issues (some that weren't even due to the tire or the company) and they got full warrantied new tires.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I drive down the freeway I normally see 18 wheeler tire treads littering the side of the road, so failures are not all that uncommon. In general, but with a few exceptions you get what you pay for.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Semis run them. But how many miles are on that retread that blew out? I bet you alot.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
When a semi looses a retread he can drive to the next stop and get a new tire. Good luck doing that with a single wheel pickup.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Only on the drive axles, not on the steering axles btw. The steering tires and drive tires are 2 totally different designs. I used to sell 22.5's
Why do you think that is? Because failure in retreads is so common losing a drive tire would cause alot more wrecks.

I don't know where anyone got the idea they are not for highway use, most 18 wheelers are running retreads on our highways every day.
I too live in Florida and drive about 15 miles on I-75 everyday on my way to work and see bunches of retreads all over the side of the road. I've seen brand new retread on their first outing blow and have also had one blow while I was passing a semi and pieces of tire flew in my truck and couldnt hear for a while out of that ear. IMO retreads shouldnt even be allowed on the road for the same reason they cant be used for drive tires.

I guess some people just cant understand the concept of "you get what you pay for"...

·
Registered
172 Posts
The rubber is all you have between you and the road. I wouldn't trust my family's or your family's life to a set of tires just to save a couple hundred bucks. I live in coal country and the truck drivers will tell you that the retreads always fail much faster than a new tire. Sometimes it's withing a few day's other times it's months later but they always separate before they wear out. If you are using a retread for off road and playing around then they would be perfect. but dont put others at a higher risk by towing with these tires on the interstate to save a few bucks. I'd ask treadwright if they approve of towing 10,000lb at 75mph with their tires.

·
Registered
616 Posts
:stupid my 3 kids and wife are in my bronco on a regular basis and their is no way I would endanger their lives or anyone else of the traveling public but putting those tires on my truck.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
I'd ask treadwright if they approve of towing 10,000lb at 75mph with their tires.

I don't think any tire company is going to approve of anyone towing 10,000lb at 75mph with their tires.[/QUOTE]

I tow 10,000+lbs all the time. With that weight and speed It doesn't matter who's brand tires you use.

I just lost a trailer tire last weekend on my 10 hrs drive to the Mojave desert with the 10,000 lbs+ bobcat on it,I was 55mph. I will never crap right again.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts