Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting all the little stuff lined up to the 95 EB running. A lot of my extra work is to fix previous owner / "Mechanics" so called fixes. So I hit up the local NAPA - which I've gone to plenty and they have been hit or miss. I hand the guy a piece of heater hose, a piece of trans cooler line, a piece of vacuum line and a piece of PCV line. I ask for a certain amount of feet per item. He goes in the back.

20 minutes later - no exaggeration - he comes back out and says the only thing he could match up was the trans cooler line. ????? I said "You don't have 5/8 heater hose?" He replies "What we have doesn't match up to what you have."

I just shake my head, pay for the trans cooler line, the hvac check valve I needed and leave.

I hit up another local parts store. There is apparently only one person working the counter. 4 or 5 people waiting in line. The parts person is on the phone, and it takes 5 minutes to realize they are holding a conversation that has nothing to do with helping a customer. So I walk out of there.

I search on my phone for another NAPA and there's one maybe 15 minutes from my house, but more in the country. Turns out it's a combination hardware / feed / seed / NAPA / MISC store. I walk in there and there's a full station with all sizes of vacuum / fuel / heater hoses. With a ruler and a cutter. Well that took 5 minutes.

I find two brass pipe plugs (with a hex / allen driver recessed head) for the transfer case as well. I find a pipe plug for the water pipe on the intake (I'm deleting the throttle body cooling line). I find the wire loom I need for the starter / O2 sensor wiring.

Finally - I was hoping (not all that hopeful) that I could find a fitting for the radiator trans cooler. I wanted a 90 elbow so I could better route the Trans cooler line. The woman who runs the store takes one look at the fitting, grabs it from me and comes out with EXACTLY what I need and is like "anything else?"

So yeah - they'll get all my business from now on.

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Yo ctandc,
Great!
In NJ farm area we had a similar store that was part feed, part tractor/truck supply.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,470 Posts
Yes! A place that has actual stuff to do actual things with! Agreed - it’s getting harder and harder to find anything local, anything quality, and anyone who understands either of those two things.

Enjoy your new old store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,698 Posts
I'm getting all the little stuff lined up to the 95 EB running. A lot of my extra work is to fix previous owner / "Mechanics" so called fixes. So I hit up the local NAPA - which I've gone to plenty and they have been hit or miss. I hand the guy a piece of heater hose, a piece of trans cooler line, a piece of vacuum line and a piece of PCV line. I ask for a certain amount of feet per item. He goes in the back.

20 minutes later - no exaggeration - he comes back out and says the only thing he could match up was the trans cooler line. ????? I said "You don't have 5/8 heater hose?" He replies "What we have doesn't match up to what you have."

I just shake my head, pay for the trans cooler line, the hvac check valve I needed and leave.

I hit up another local parts store. There is apparently only one person working the counter. 4 or 5 people waiting in line. The parts person is on the phone, and it takes 5 minutes to realize they are holding a conversation that has nothing to do with helping a customer. So I walk out of there.

I search on my phone for another NAPA and there's one maybe 15 minutes from my house, but more in the country. Turns out it's a combination hardware / feed / seed / NAPA / MISC store. I walk in there and there's a full station with all sizes of vacuum / fuel / heater hoses. With a ruler and a cutter. Well that took 5 minutes.

I find two brass pipe plugs (with a hex / allen driver recessed head) for the transfer case as well. I find a pipe plug for the water pipe on the intake (I'm deleting the throttle body cooling line). I find the wire loom I need for the starter / O2 sensor wiring.

Finally - I was hoping (not all that hopeful) that I could find a fitting for the radiator trans cooler. I wanted a 90 elbow so I could better route the Trans cooler line. The woman who runs the store takes one look at the fitting, grabs it from me and comes out with EXACTLY what I need and is like "anything else?"

So yeah - they'll get all my business from now on.
Our local hardware store with all the knowledge closed down. So now im on my own. Luckily, the local advance auto is really good still. But for hardware, I go to my steel supply. They have almost everything and know right where its at.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,601 Posts
Our farm Co-Op don’t do car parts but being in a farming community our parts store carry what you need not the bling bling for top $$$ crap

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,172 Posts
I have an old timey True Value within walking distance, then a Tractor Supply a mile away. Both have been helpful for "need it right now!" stuff. I really love the TS though. Nut, bolts, & washers purchased by the pound. Hell my power steering belt is a tractor belt!

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I always walk to the hose section (used to be a rack) but is now shelves with boxes of hose and labels. And I take several minutes looking for my hoses usually the parts guys say F this let me know when you're done and I just tell them what part numbers off the box each hose came from. Tbh I really need to keep bulk hose and bulbs on hand so I can just reorder the sizes online and not be bothered paying retail per foot prices.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
163 Posts
I always walk to the hose section (used to be a rack) but is now shelves with boxes of hose and labels. And I take several minutes looking for my hoses usually the parts guys say F this let me know when you're done and I just tell them what part numbers off the box each hose came from. Tbh I really need to keep bulk hose and bulbs on hand so I can just reorder the sizes online and not be bothered paying retail per foot prices.
I really miss the days when the "behind the counter guy" was a retired mechanic or someone who had a lot of experience with working on cars. They knew what you needed just by describing it to them! They didn't need a computer to tell them what you needed.
TB

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
It really depends on where you go. Chain parts stores can be good or bad and area makes a big difference. There's little hole in the wall napa joints, then there's big ones that can crimp hydraulic hoses and stuff like that. You're likely to get much better help with nitty gritty stuff like that than the smaller more urban stores which are really just generic parts houses.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not worried so much about knowledgeable parts counter people. They have been a dying breed for a long time - and many times even the good ones don't have a lot of experience actually working on stuff. I miss counter people who know how to use a catalog - since most parts houses have access to a TON of hard to find stuff that simply isn't listed in the computer.

·
Registered
1994 Bronco
17 Posts
The NAPA that I use--- there was one guy that hoarded catalogs and he left. Took all the catalogs with him also. The kicker is NAPA is barely making any physical catalogs anymore. They have "online pdf catalogs" which is such a joke.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They still get new catalogs. The parts that are actually branded NAPA - all that is online. It's the many different suppliers that make various things that sell to NAPA that still send catalogs. Just depends on each store whether or they use them or even know about them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts