Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a poster said that to buy the K&N FIPK was a waste of money. Is it or did he just mean that to buy the whole kit was a waste since you can basically make one yourself? I was thinking on buying one myself when I do the Sixlitre upgrade. Should I spend this money on something else? Also, what does AOD stand for and how do I tell what I have? Same goes for mass air? I have a '94 302 XLT daily driver. Thanks for the help...

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
search it, the FIPK is a waste of money

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Ive got a K&N drop in filter in my original air box. I like it. One time payment
and then easy to clean.

AOD=automatic overdrive

·
Registered
67 Posts
By talking to people about this i found that K&N touts their
low restriction and HP gains with their filters,
which is good for cars at the track,
but it comes at the expense of poor filtration and
a higher percentage of particle matter entering the intake.
AH

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dont worry you dont have an aod, you have an e4od. I personally wouldnt buy a k&n filter or a similair brand. I would just make a cowl induction hood and just get a regular filter with a lot more surface area then stock. More surface area means more flow without having to sacrifice good filtration.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
IMO, a lightly dirty K&N is good enough for our engines.

The K&N FIPK is a waste. Pulls hot underhood air in, and costs you horsepower.

If you get a K&N FIPK used for cheap, then it's worth it, but only if you plan on making a better way for it to pull cool air in.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I dunno, I like my factory Motorcraft filter. :toothless

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
yep...search around. When you want to get serious...read threads with SigEpBlue and Kennys94 and Gackner on how to do the cold air intake... Hot air intakes bring the suck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
on a carb setup i love mine. on my efi i hated it gas milage went to shit. a fram airhog on the other hand was great on EFI

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer 5.8 tow package, keyless entry/security system
1,089 Posts
in the lightning forums this has been discussed at great lengths.. the majority feel that they like the sound, but the heat from the engine negates any gain in power realized.

And others say the larger openings from the KN filters, no matter if its oiled, allow larger particles into your engine.

So i just use OEM.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I have the FIPK and love it. I noticed a big difference when I installed it.
It was all in your head. :thumbup

More then likely, your ass dyno is out of calibration.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I have a drop in I just installed.... meh. I bought it new for 20 bucks and thought what the hell. I will say that I have noticed a smoother idle, better throttle response and smoother powerband. Admittedly, I replaced an old airfilter that was embarassingly dirty... I wouldnt spend the $$ on an FIPK when that kind of loot could be better spent on better mods....

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
IMO, a lightly dirty K&N is good enough for our engines.

The K&N FIPK is a waste. Pulls hot underhood air in, and costs you horsepower.

If you get a K&N FIPK used for cheap, then it's worth it, but only if you plan on making a better way for it to pull cool air in.
Actually by that chart that is usually posted in these K&N threads, it shows that the K&N FIPK gives the most horsepower, but it kills your mileage. Then theres added benefits such as a cool sounding engine.

I have the first gen FIPK and that was a waste though! I would rather go ghetto style than that. All it was is a bracket that bolts onto the fenderwell and the filter, total ripoff. I was 16 and new to autos i didnt know better. But the second gen is okay and I wish they test on that and add it to the chart i referred to. This one actually replaces the intake tubes with a bigger single plastic? tube with a "Y" at the end to connect to the throttle body and gives you a place to mount the filter. That style MAY be worth it but thats if you already have done a bunch of other mods and are just looking for something more to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was all in your head. :thumbup

More then likely, your ass dyno is out of calibration.
:smilie_slap

My ass dyno is always calibrated.

The engine idles better and the exhaust sound better. Throttle response is better too.

The gains aren't tremendous, but worth the extra $ IMHO....

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
:smilie_slapThe engine idles better and the exhaust sound better. Throttle response is better too.

The gains aren't tremendous, but worth the extra $ IMHO....
it would have nothing to do with the exhuast sound, but would give you the cool sucking sound, almost like a turbo

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.