Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 1989 Bronco from some idiot that didnt know to change spark pluggs. I got it for 300 bucks and only 72K miles, mud free. My buddy said i should get a K&N cold air intake but i wanted to make sure it was worth the 300 bucks. I just got done putting dual exhaust on it and it sounds great. Someone with the air intake can you please let me know if it worth it?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My take on it is that the entire intake itself isn't probably worth the price. Unless you're making some other significant changes to the engine and need the freer flowing intake. You'd be better off just getting the filter that fits your filter box. I was told that the filter box for the 300 and another particular engine I cannot remember works better than the others because they take their air from the front grill area instead of inside the engine bay. I installed an AirAid CAI on my Ram and about the only thing that changed was that it sounded more powerful. I didn't get any real difference in performance or fuel economy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If your truck has it's original filter intake system intact, you already have a "cold air" intake. Most of the K&N-type aftermarket filter systems that claim the name "cold air intake" in fact, aint.
Would I rip off my factory air intake system and throw on a $300 K&N system?.....absolutely not, not even if it was give to me for free. Personaly, I'd clean out my air filter box, drop in a Motorcraft or Wix replacement filter and call it good.

DGW

·
Registered
93 Posts
The K& N drop in filter is all you need. They are nice and last forever. Get a can of the spray on oil too so you can wash it and re-oil. Forget the whole kit. Like above, you'd need a better intake, bigger injectors, and larger throttle body to need the whole kit. BUT, It looks COOL and if that's your bag go for it! Won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I was one of the guys that bought the K&N intake a while back. I have never been on a Dyno so its not like i could tell you any real gains. But you can definitely hear it pulling in air. I dont remember what i payed for mine a while back. Little tip. If you buy the summit version, its the same as the K&N for less money and it even comes with K&N decals on it

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking about a different kit, but doesn't the K&N CAI essentially just suck in the HOT air from the engine bay rendering it completely useless and probably making you worse off than a stock set up? I can't remember the routing of the system, but I was pretty sure it was the K&N setup.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I wrapped the stock intake tubes with a reflective heat tape. Then I put two short stainless tubes in the end to go in to a K&N cone filter. I routed the stock cold air feed to the cone. Gain in MPGs of about .5 per gal. I dont know if it was worth the work. (it didnt cost much) But I have to admit, I love the sound. Hard to discribe (Darth Vader maybe) You wouldnt think an intake would make a neat sound, You got to hear it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, my neighbors Broder Collie will chase my truck with the K&N whenever I downshift and floor it coming around the corner by it's house, making that loud "whooshing" sound. The dog won't even lift his head driving by in another truck!
ha ha :haha

i personally think that's all you get when you buy those things. hundred something dollars for a whoosh sound. nothing more :doh0715:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts