Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the whole intake thing provides more power. Every man with a v8 ford wants more power. So i saw this http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10169
I was wondering if i should do it. I have read mixed responses. About hot air? Being worse than the factory one? just for show? mudd and sand getting in there?
What is the deal Bronco gurus...should i do it? :drinkbud

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
In my experiences with the K&N stuff, it's not so much more power, but more responsiveness in the throttle and power curve. Not so much in making more power, it just frees up the restrictive intake and allows more air to be drawn more efficiently. Which, doesn't actually make more horsepower/torque, but frees up some of what was being gobbled up elsewhere. Are they worth it... I think so...

:thumbup

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
heres why i did that: the PCV breather uses the same filter as the air filter, it just goes into a little bung on the filter. my old PCV filter was falling out of the factory air box, so i kept sucking sand in = bad. you could always go the panel filter route, but it costs like $5 less than the filter i used so i didn't think it was worth it IMO. another advantage to a K&N style reusable filter is that its reusable. at $10 per filter for the Wix one, i only needed to do about 2 years worth of driving for the K&N to pay for itself.

the hot air issue: the factory box sucks from right above the radiator, and we all know hot air rises. so you take off the snorkel and you're sucking air straight from the engine bay. the only way to get true cold air is to use a hood scoop, true snorkel or something along those lines.

mud and sand: aside from the outside of the filter getting plugged and restricting your airflow, you're going to need some VERY fine sand and mud particles to have it sucked into your engine. if you're that worried about it, K&N makes a foam "pre-filter" that goes over the filter to stop sand and mud, but IME it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

power: it may or may not add power; mine seems to run better now, but it also has new plugs, exhaust, and 9mm wires. i like it because it sounds much meaner and i live in cali where loud = cool = get pu$$y from slutty college chicks so it all works out for me:D

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Okay, many will chime in here, and I'm glad you searched, but pretty much everything you are looking for here can be found in the numerous topics covered by this. Not trying to be an A-hole, just trying to say politely what others will say rudely before they get a chance too.

I have a K & N fipk Filter on my rig. I did not invest in the kit. The filter can be had for $50 from summit and fabbed up for $5 - $10 at best. Studies have shown that cold air is denser air, and produces more HP. So, logically, hotter air takes away potential power. Does the stock system pull air from outside? Yes. Does the tube running from under your hood to your air box, your air box, and your tubes running from your air box to your throttle body have the potential to heat up and in turn, heat up the air passing through them? Yes (IMHO). Is there a chance that air taken from outside, through the piping to the throttle body could be cooler then if you had an open filter. Yes. Is it significant after the engine bay heats up? Not really (IMHO). Does all of this matter if you live in a hot climate area anyways so you won't be sucking really cool air from outside? No.

Does your engine run better when it gets more air? Yes. Does an open "Cone" filter allow more air then a stock box with a drop in filter by the same company? Some say yes, others say no. Does my butt dyno say my truck runs better? Yes.

Do I have the satisfaction of knowing that I fabbed something for my rig and potentially allowed more power? Yes. Does it look like Sampson and son did the fabbing? Yes. Do I care? No. Did it hurt the rig to do it? No.

Does my engine sound better? Yes. Is there a loud "sucking" sound coming from under my hood now? Yes. Do I dig it? Yes. Will others? Don't care.

So in the end, make your own decision on this one, you will not get a "one way" consensus on this if it was debated for 10 years!

·
Registered
893 Posts
SMOOTH said:
Does my engine sound better? Yes. Is there a loud "sucking" sound coming from under my hood now? Yes. Do I dig it? Yes. Will others? Don't care.
:histerica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts