Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always like seeing other people's creations on how they transport their kayak(s). Whether you like my setup or not I did put a lot of time thinking about it...much to the detriment of my job...but in the end I am very pleased and wanted to share.

I hope you will share photos and descriptions and feedback on your setup too.

I had a number of objectives for the rack solution on my 1990 full size Ford Bronco. First and foremost I wanted to be able to carry up to 2 kayaks WITHOUT covering up precious cargo space in my roof basket on trips that I needed that space! For that I needed to have the “J” cradles on either side of the basket. I went with Swagman strictly because of look (solid black) but personally I love their simple clamp system, it is simple and intuitive. If I didn’t critically need the basket space for camping gear, cooler(s) etc…I can always lay a 3rd Kayak down the middle with my Mako Saddles mounted to the basket, important to secure straps to Yakima BARS and and NOT the basket just to be strongest! Finally if I want to carry 4 Kayaks, I have the Thule “Stacker” to handle 2 yaks down the middle on their sides!

(NOTE!: apparently Swagman does NOT use rust proof nuts and bolts as you can see in the photos...this is one day after returning from the hardware's FIRST voyage to the coast (Mustang Island...Shamrock, Kate's Hole, etc...so obviously I will have to replace that hardware!)

Anyway here is the breakdown of the hardware I have going on...and here is a link to some photos:

photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeb.bra...?authkey=Gv1sRgCOjG2ceayeK7HQ&feat=directlink

Breakdown of hardware:

- 2 Yakima 66” Crossbars
- 4 Yakima 1A Raingutters
- 2 Yakima Kwik Rails
- 2 sets of Swagman Universal Contour Cradles
- Pair of Yakima Mako Saddles
- Yakima Kayak Stacker *
- ROLA Cargo Basket
- ROLA Cargo Basket Extension (etrailer.com)
- a little elbow grease (not much though)

*stay tuned for upcoming photos with 4 yaks loaded down that will show the Yakima Stacker or Thule Stacker in action!

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Just seen one yesterday in the wheeling and trip pictures forum. He even had a kayak on there. I am sure you wont have to go far back to find it, I am thinking it was one of the last pics that he posted to.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If you get a chance, can you take a picture of the rack, unloaded, from about a 20 ft distance...I'd like to see the whole picture.

I keep debating on a roof rack. I haul two kayaks around in my truck, but it would be nice to put them on top of the Bronco. I just hate the cluttered look of roof racks when they're empty.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My dad strapped our tandem ocean kayak (about 80 lbs) to the top of his wrangler when the top was off.
Then we went wheelin in Pismo for about four hours.
Not sure why we had a dented up top afterward... :toothless

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
looks great!!!! now you need a little lift, and maybe 35 or 36 tires thats bronco its nice! congrats!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts