Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Kayline/STC soft top installed.

The top consists of two parts, a bed cover and a cab bulkhead.

Here is the cab bulkhead from the inside.

Bed cover from the inside.

This is with the cab bulk head removed. This is good for keeping UV of your rear interior and hiding any cargo wile still having that "Top off" feeling.

I am not terribly happy with the way the top fits. I think if Kaylin/STC had put a little more time in the design it would have been a much better top. But since I only actually plan on having it on when the Bronco is parked, or if I get caught in a rain storm. It will serve my needs
quite well.

And now for the good part

I drilled No holes in my Bronco for this top
:thumbup

I just cut/bent some simple brackets out of aluminum that I picked up at Lows and used them to support the top rails using the factory top bolt holes.

The tailgate section is simply healed on at each end by the bed rails.

Here you can see the L shaped piece of aluminum I have connecting the two tailgate sections together and reinforcing the long run across the top of the tailgate.

Took me two weekends to do this with simple hand tools. I still have a few bugs to work out, but other than it being time consuming and requiring a lot of adjustment, it was easy.

I don't understand why Kayline/STC did,t do it this way to begin with.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
get a better shot of the truck topless. i bet it looks awesome with the top off.

i just put my top back on a week or so ago. i took it off when i painted the truck and left it off for 2 weeks. i love the topless feeling, but it was 100* for the last 2 weeks and very humid so the top went back on

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
It'd be cool to make some covers for the rails, that snap on, so they're hidden when the top is off.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'd be cool to make some covers for the rails, that snap on, so they're hidden when the top is off.
I'm just gonna polish them :toothless

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love the work you did so that you wouldn't have to drill holes. Awsome work, you wanna trade for mine? Its a one of a kind, tonneau style, NO DRILLING!!! Hows that sound?

·
Registered
150 Posts
just to tempt you... heres mine.

Heres the attaching screws...

Heres the whole thing...

Ill even throw in an extra speaker, from when i was replacing my whole system. ;-)

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
no like. sorry.
:stupid

I think those tops look like shit to begin with. I know there isnt much you can do due to availability but i think the full tops are better

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:stupid

I think those tops look like shit to begin with. I know there isnt much you can do due to availability but i think the full tops are better
Well yea, but like I said. That top will only be on when it is parked, or if I get in an accidental rain storm.

The soft top on looks like poop. I dont like it either.
I'm not concerned with that.
I thought ya'll meant the rails looked bad or something :toothless

This is just so I can take the top off myself.
Takes two folks and an hour to take the hard top off. And getting someone to help me do anything is next to imposable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Takes two folks and an hour to take the hard top off. And getting someone to help me do anything is next to imposable.
:thumbup Exactly!! Why couldnt they have made the top weigh less than 200lbs? lol, just kidding. It is a hassle to take it off for god days, then have to put it on 2 days later for a quick rain shower.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Lookin good Gack!

Welcome to the tonneau club! :thumbup

·
Registered
91 Posts
I made a very similar bracket system for my "fastback" soft-tops.com top (just like you it's only for being parked or the sudden downpour) I just used diamond plate rail guards from my bro's F-250 and had to get really creative for the tailgate and upper parts, but i had absolutely no drilling in my body and i can use all the stock bolts too!

Great work, it looks nice, and it took me a couple weekends too!:beer

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Nice Gack. but, I would think your aluminum brackets are not quite there. They would allow movement I'd think (at least they would with a full soft top, not your rear cover/Tonneau, which is not a soft "top"). That is why STC/kayline did not go this route. I suppose if you made them of steel and a bit wider, there may not be any movement of those channels. If you do find you have some movement, it's still a nice start since you could secure it better by only drilling small machine screw holes at several areas to help. Also, did your channel still have the foam underside to help with the elements? If not, the original/new channel uses a thin stick on high/density strip foam to ensure no leaks, minimal wind/noise/squeaks.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,448 Posts
Well yea, but like I said. That top will only be on when it is parked, or if I get in an accidental rain storm.

I use mine all the time, it not only keeps the back dryer but on the highway it reduces the amount af wind coming into the cab off the tailgate.
The tonneau has its place just like the soft top does.

I do not think it has ever taken me an hour to remove or replace the top especialy if i have help putting it back on.

Aside from all that I love the work on the rails, GREAT IDEA:beer

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice Gack. but, I would think your aluminum brackets are not quite there. They would allow movement I'd think.
The rails on the bed sides have 0 movement. The top would rip off before they moved.

The ones along the B-pillar and along the roof could move. They only have 3 bolts holding that entire run. I belive once the two cab roof corner bolts are installed it wont move any.

But first this has to be fixed.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102491

The tailgate section could also move, but as firm as it is and the forces generated my the tanneau, it shouldn't.

Also, did your channel still have the foam underside to help with the elements? If not, the original/new channel uses a thin stick on high/density strip foam to ensure no leaks, minimal wind/noise/squeaks.
The foam is still on all the rails. :thumbup

I do not think it has ever taken me an hour to remove or replace the top especialy if i have help putting it back on.
Taking it off from start to finish usualy takes a little less than an hour.

Putting it back on takes longer. I usualy end up playing with the trim for atleast an hour by itself. I am a verry, verry picky person, everything must be just right or I will mess with it till it is.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts