Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is truly a silly problem, however its driving me insane..

I have 2 KC slimline lights mounted high up on the front bumpe with their own switch in the truck on the dash. Iam running the supply wire directly to the battery, the load is coming from the relay and the ground is of course grounded.

I installed 2 4" PIAA lights in a similar manner, they are not sharing any wiring with the KC's they are independent and have their own switch on the dash below the KC's. They work fine.

The KC's were installed before the PIAA's and worked just fine, when i installed the switch for the PIAA's something happened the KC's stopped working. I traced the wires back through the firewall and tested with a volt meter and they came back good.

I then purchased a Hella Relay and replaced the KC one thinking it was bad, (i believe the relays are the same 5 plug pattern) well when i installed the hella relay one light will come on and stay on regardless of the switch positon. If I turn the switch on, nothing changes.. the one KC stays on.. the light on the button does not work either.

I have since traced the wiring back from the lights to the relay.. tested both lights, tested with another switch, changed the ground on the switch, rigged up a jumper on the relay, etc etc.. nothing seems to work.

I don't know why there is just one light coming on. its acting like the relay is jumping the live 12v from the battery directly to one of the lights. However i have checked both relays and they are setup the same... or are they? i found the wiring schematics online.. and they even say they are the same ( they look like the same schematics matter of fact...)

Any ideas??

My next step i guess is to pull it all apart and rewire it out side the truck to see what the heck is going on.... but i know its something stupid and i'm just overlooking it. Electrical isn't my strong point.. but i do get the basics...

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well iam not crazy.. the KC lights run off a relay that is wired differently from all the other light relays, anyway ordered a couple more off amazon $9...

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Usually a 5 pin relay has both a Normally opened side and a Normally closed side. A 4 pin relay is just one or the other.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried 4 different 5 pin relays and one 4 pin.. i didn't feel like rewiring the thing so i just ordered the one for the KC's for now.. i spent enough time on this dumb problem... have no idea why the relay went out either.. but oh well. Hopefully this takes care if it!

electric isn't my strong suite something i need to learn...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts