Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am not happy at all with the L&L Products motor mounts. I have already gone through 2 sets of them, and this shouldnt be happening. The first time was abotu a year after I had had them, so i just though maybe it was time for them to go, well i changed them 2 and a half weeks ago and now they are ripped again, granted, i just ran some mud bogs, although i wasnt running that hard, but stil lshouldnt have gone out on me like this, AGAIN. So I am looking for new ideas on what I should do, this is my DD so I don't want to have it out for long period of time, but I don't want to replace them again when they are at a 120 a pop. So i need some new ideas, a few friends are thinking they can build solid mounts for me but I am unsure bout it, what do you guys think? This cant keep happening.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I was ripping stockers, so I cut the stud off, then drilled through what was left and ran a grade 8 bolt through the mount. Tack welded the head on the back side and called it good. Never broke another one.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, that is a good idea. I can tell you L&L is getting a mouthful! It just sucks this keeps happening.

·
Registered
98 Posts
all you need is a drill, 2 bolts, 4 washers, and some chain. drill 2 holes at the arrows, add bolts and washers, make sure one bolt is long enough to pull the chain good and tight. ive been running mine like this for years on autozone specials!

[/IMG]

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking something like that as well, I may do a combo of both, that way I got 2 ways instead of jsut one. That way I got extra assurance for my hard romps out everywhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran across a guy that had some motor mount stands for the 460 for sale a while ago. They used the stock mounts. I still have his # if you want to see if he still has them. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I run autozone cheep-o mounts, $9 each.. and, although the "flat" metal parts have become visibly bent (from jumping, or more accurately, landing) they haven't ripped loose yet. maybe you should just get them? hell, if they can stand up to the torque of my stroker, and tons of jumping, and a few roll overs, and still hold together, they can't be that bad.... of course, you're running a 460 and thats a little more engine.. but still!!

another thought, is maybe you're trans mount has a problem and the trans is swinging side-to-side putting some lateral twist on the engine and ruining the mounts....

do you drop the clutch a lot, or shift hard in low range? i'd probably just weld a piece of angle iron with one flat side against the X memeber, and the edge sticking up to the "flat" part of the engine mount. or, weld the top side and put bolts through for the bottom part, if you want to be able to take it off easily (without cutting stuff)

·
Registered
34 Posts
there shouldnt be any reason for you to be ripping motor mounts that bad man, thats so weird, have you tried buying the motor mounts that pivot??
check out the motor mounts over at..... wildhorses4x4- the motor mounts sold there look REAL sturdy, i might even buy some too actually. BUT the guy told me when i asked, that it might raise the engine up about an inch or so, so watchout for clearance*

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOAH 460 nvm shit thats a big engine hahaha but if they look like the 351, 302, 289 mounts they should fit, i have the $50 ones from wildhorses, those guys are AWESOME man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts