Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have been wanting to liven things up on my sluggish, 144,000 mile 5.0L "OJ" Bronco, so I have acquired a gaggle of parts that I thought might just pep things up a bit.

Here is the short list:

1. Kenne Bell 1.5L Twin Screw Supercharger (incomplete kit)
2. Ported E5TE iron heads with large valves, dual springs and serious bowl work. The dreaded thermactor bumps are history.
3. 1.7:1 Crane Roller Rockers (pedestal mount)
4. Flowtech shorty headers (into existing true dual exhaust)
5. Lightning 90mm MAF
6. 30# injectors
7. Kirban fuel pressure regulator
8. Walbro 255lph in-tank fuel pump ****used a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump instead-****

There are some other ancilllaries not listed that will be described in the process of this log. The truck will be "chip tuned" on the rollers after the install of these parts.

Heads

Here are the worked E5TE’s. These will lower compression a bit; perfect for my application. Note the larger valves and no Thermactor bumps.

Tear-down

Nothing exciting here, just tore everything down to a bare deck and then cleaned the gasket surface with a razor blade. The cylinder walls were super clean, the tops of the pistons were lightly coated with carbon deposition (which I removed with a rag and brake cleaner), and the lifter valley was spotless. I’ve seen quite a few “Pennzoil motors” with massive carbon deposits in the lifter valley, but this 5.0 was extremely clean. I could see some crosshatching pattern left in the cylinder walls, and pouring oil into each cylinder resulted in no fluid drain after several hours. I suctioned out the oil and wiped out each cylinder completely, moving on to the heads.

Installing the Cylinder Heads, Valvetrain & Headers

I sourced some used ARP head bolts and Fel-Pro gaskets for the heads. Here they are, fully torqued to spec. The 1.7:1 Crane rockers and Crane chrome-moly pushrods are also installed and fully set up, and the Flowtech shorties are on and connected to the existing true dual exhaust.

To Be Continued...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lower Intake Manifold

I cleaned up and sprayed the lower intake manifold and installed it with new Fel-Pro gaskets. At this point I reattached the front accessories to the new heads.

Valve Covers

I cleaned and repainted the valve covers in Ford Blue.

Fuel Injectors

Here are the new 30# fuel injectors:

Fuel Rails & Wiring

Wiring for engine function being returned to it's place after the fuel rail reinstallation:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Real Goods

Hopefully I'll get time later in the week to get this monster in it's place:

...but, I have a busy week, so it might be several days till I update the log. Peace!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Very nice!

I hope the factory pistons work out for ya, how much boost are you planning for?

Oh by the way, my MAF's bigger :goodfinge

:beer

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice!

I hope the factory pistons work out for ya, how much boost are you planning for?
I'll be running the base 8#, but with my head and exhaust upgrades it will probably check in closer to 7#. I'll also install a Snow Performance Stage II Water/Methanol injection kit to cool the boost and protect against knock...but that is for another write-up.

Oh by the way, my MAF's bigger :goodfinge
:beer
Well, whip it out then, beeotch! :)

Actually, I just spec'd out your rig....SICK! I bet she runs like a raped hyena.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Well...I could not stop you before you got them on. I would have suggested selling those heads and getting a set of aluminums. The aluminum transferes heat better and they are lighter. You would have had to install a thicker HG because MOST of the aluminum heads have a small CC to work with because of their resistance to knocking.

That being said, it looks good. You will like the 2 screw setup.

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE

The supercharger installation went smoothly. I first mounted the supercharger to the cleaned-up lower intake, then mounted the throttle body and EGR assemblies. Afterward, I belted the supercharger and put on a temporary intake for initial startup and timing activities. Getting closer...

Yes, you are actually seeing heavy-duty Gorilla Tape and PVC...:shocked

With luck, I'll get her started in a day or so and change the fluids. Then, I'm off to the tuning shop with my Lightning MAF in hand. For now, the factory MAF is in place, and the truck will run safely on the rich side for the ride to the shop through the 30# injectors (and once I wire in the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump).

-BN

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha well i just joined but if i read this sooner i would have said put the kenne bell on that 90 lx. i wish i could find the 2.4 kb charger for my 89 stang......what lower intake are u running on the bronco, thats not stock is it?? is it the gt40 intake?
It's the factory lower, which on the 5.0 trucks is a pretty good intake. I polished up the runners a wee bit (mainly just cleaned everything up). Actually, the Mustang will get a KB blower at some future date, but for now it's fast enough in naturally-aspirated trim.

I expect to see a very respectable gain in power all around. Just the KB blower alone is generally good for 100rwhp. With the better heads, exhaust, 1.7:1 roller rockers and 30# injectors / Lightning MAF combo, I'll probably see around 130rwhp increase with solid tuning. Shouldn't have a problem pulling the utility trailer any longer!

More soon...

BN

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another update

FYI, I am starting off with the 3.000" pulley on the unit, for about 5# of boost. I'll go to 8# after I use the truck awhile set up with relatively low boost.

I'm looking forward to the day when I have a 347 under the hood and the charger pullied for 10#...maybe next summer?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:rockon Looks Awesome. I'm jealous
Do you know if this setup will bolt up to a 5.8?

Rich
Yes, the kit works on 5.0 and 5.8 applications. Problem is, Kenne Bell no longer makes this kit...but they can still be had on eBay and craigslist.

I think the Eaton M90 custom kits are probably the way to go. Boostcrazy's Eaton M90 thread is nothing short of inspirational! :rockon

Some trick heads and a blower on your 5.8 would be sweet.

-BN

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks familiar! Good luck and I hope the thing holds till you rebuild. Don't forget to go a couple plugs colder and keep your foot out of it till the tuner takes out some timing.

I am putting my KB on my 89 Stang.
I've got her running with timing set at 10°. She will idle but will not take any throttle without sputtering, clearly because of the 30# injectors coupled with the factory MAF. Right now I am trying to clear up a small exhaust leak (fu*kin Flowtech shorties), and as soon as that is done I'll get the chip / Lightning MAF situation addressed.

Here is how she stands right now. I plan on installing a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump this afternoon along with a new fuel filter. If I can maintain good fuel pressure and fuel/air ratio, I'll save the Walbro in-tank pump install for down the road; perhaps when the 347 with Trick Flow heads / smaller 10# pulley goes down next year...

I'll post up some vids once tuning is complete...:thumbup

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Came together real good. What was the total cost?
I dropped a little over $2k total for everything, but I confess to having got the "bro-deal" on the charger. I expect to spend another $700 to get fully equipped with gauges, tuning and any other small ancillaries.

When I get close to the time to do the stroker for this truck, I'll ratchet up the boost on this one and see what the factory shortblock will take. I've seen high-mileage 5.0 motors (with factory hypereutectic pistons) live awhile on 10# of boost, but only with perfect tuning and water/methanol injection.

So far this has been fun. Can't wait to throw up some vids here in a week or so!
:thumbup
-BN

·
Registered
694 Posts
Look forward to hearing/seeing any clips you post. I have one of these kits just waiting for me to get the time to install. As well as quite a few other goodies (see, sig. All of which I've been sitting on for too long). Can't wait to hear your combo running. :rockon

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
who did the work to the e5's??? what did that cost you???

dc
Barnett Performance (he's on eBay). He puts together a very nice set of heads. He'll do E7's or anything else you throw at him.

For about $600 I got the heads ported, blending in the bowls, larger stainless steel valves (1.9x" intake), dual springs and better-than-factory retainers. I chose the E5's over E7's or any other popular aluminum head because of the larger chamber (69cc). I wanted to drop compression a bit in my vigilant fight against detonation. ;) The $600 did not require any core, either.

I had a set of Edelbrock O-ringed heads that I was dead-set on using, but they had the larger 2.02" intake valves and would not have worked with the factory pistons, so I sold those on eBay and scored the E5's. In their fully modifed form, they are a hell of a nice set of heads...especially since they are coupled with 1.7:1 roller-tip rockers and stout pushrods.

-BN

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's alive!

Well, the past few weeks have been entertaining and quite busy, but I have the Bronco basically all together now. I ran her this morning with the KB Boost-A-Pump and the JMS switch chip, and I'm happy to report that the motor idles like stock, and a touch of the throttle results in a pleasing whine from under the hood and a not-so-delicate roar from the dual exhausts. The bigger-valved heads and shorty headers sure changed the exhaust note.:thumbup

I've got a few items to address before I post video:

1. Fluid Change - I'll run some cheapie 10w-30 for a few hundred miles while I wear in the new valvetrain components. I also will change the coolant, adding some Water Wetter, and I'll service the transmission and diffs as well.

2. Boost Gauge - I need to buy and install a boost gauge, as well as a fuel pressure gauge and an air/fuel ratio gauge. Anyone know of a good triple-pod for the center dash? I'll be using 2" or 2-5/8" gauges. Also, I need to mount the Boost-A-Pump controller and the JMS Switch-Chip at the same time.

3. Clean-Up - My poor truck is coated in dust, and the interior is dirty from field work. I'll clean up the truck inside and out.

4. Flowtech Fix - No matter how I approach it, the Flowtech shorties leak at the base. As much as I want to blame the cheapie headers, the real problem is that the factory pipes are not flared enough to make a proper seal with the headers. My buddy owns and operates an exhaust shop (he originally did my true dual setup), and we are going to cut the pipes, pull them out and flare them. I should have that done this week, with any luck.

So, long story short, the beast is alive :rockon and I hope to post some good video soon.

-BN

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
does that lower intake match the blower? where did thet piping come from that is connected to the blower to the tb? is it f-150 specific?

The lower is a factory piece, just cleaned up and sprayed silver. The Kenne Bell unit I installed is specifically for Ford Trucks (including Bronco) having the 5.0 or 5.8. The aluminum pipe connecting the throttle body to the main body of the blower is also a Kenne Bell part specific to this truck.

-BN

1 - 20 of 29 Posts