Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title says it all, broke the key while trying to take it out of the ignition cylinder, part of it is now stuck in there, and i can't get it out.. how do i remove the ignition cylinder on a 1993? ive searched and found tech write ups on older models but I cant find where the pin is on my steering column that im supposed to depress to remove the cylinder.. can anyone please help me out?

·
Registered
182 Posts
title says it all, broke the key while trying to take it out of the ignition cylinder, part of it is now stuck in there, and i can't get it out.. how do i remove the ignition cylinder on a 1993? ive searched and found tech write ups on older models but I cant find where the pin is on my steering column that im supposed to depress to remove the cylinder.. can anyone please help me out?
Time to either invest in a new ignition cylinder with a new key if it it got stuck and broke due to malfunction. Those are easy to come by, eBay or Broncograveyard etc.

Or use thin tweezers or o-ring pick to get it out. You can go to a key shop and they will still be able to make you a new key with no problem, so long as you have both pieces. Might take a few attepts with some mild filing, a pro won't have any issues.

Hope this helps. Happened to me, they made their keys so freaking thin!:banghead

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Well now you can start it without the key! I can too, but there's nothing in there...just turn and away you go.

·
Banned
11,476 Posts
how do i remove the ignition cylinder on a 1993? ive searched and found tech write ups on older models but I cant find where the pin is on my steering column that im supposed to depress to remove the cylinder.. can anyone please help me out?
Click my tan CV in my signature & look in the Steering Column album. :deal

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
sounds kinda like my co workers bronco.. He can take his key out while running lol.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Can you put the remainder of the key back in the cylinder and then remove it? You will more than likely need to be able to turn it to get it out. The button is on the bottom of the column under where the key is insterted (check out Steve83s link for a detailed pic).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the input, ended up finding the pin, i had to remove the black plastic pieces below the steering wheel, and the pin was right on the bottom side of where the cylinder was. Popped the old one out, and the new one in. thanks for the help.

-skynyrd

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, i can start my bko without the key either. Well i need the key to get past the ford lock, but after that i can pull it out and start, or start and pull it out. Aparently fords ignition set ups are notorious for that. I mentioned it to my girlfriends dad and he said thats how his first mustang got stolen....bummer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.