Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need to know which wire (color) is the "hot" wire going into the key switch (from the battery) and which one is the hot wire coming out of the key switch, giving pwr to the rest of the bronco once the key is "on". I'm trying to ..more orless bypass the key, I've got it torn down, and cant find my Haynes manual, and I dont know how to read a wiring diagram anyway. I thought I'd post it on here.

I've got today off, and I've got to get it put back together so I can drive to work tomorrow.

I also took somepics, i'll try to get them on here. I also borrowed a multimeter, so I'm gonna go outside and keep jacking around with it, hope some of you can help ;)

Thanks,

PS, 95 xlt, 302, if that helps

·
Registered
337 Posts
why bypass the key? ... there is more to your ignition switch then one power switch, not that easy a job and if you are determined ... get a new manual and figure out wiring diagrams ... if you bastardize your ignition you will become the only one who knows how to fix it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wont be basterdized. But the switch itself is AFU, currently, it turns without the Key.

The way I'm trying to do it, if I, or whomever ends up owning my truck, feels the need to put a key switch back in, it'll go right in, no problems. I personally dont like it.

Anyway, I figured out there are 4 hot wires going in, lol. And yeah, I know it's more complicated than I thought it would be! Figured that out a while ago, but I'm commited.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Also if it turns without the key I don't see the point unless you are putting a new one on (with a new key). Seems like a lot of work for a lateral step of putting a button on it or something...

Just use a voltmeter to figure out which one(s) are coming from the battery. If you get a reading when you have one end on the wire and the other on a ground then it is a hot wire. My guess would be 1 will be 12v and the other 3 will be for Acc, Run/On and Start but I really don't know that. Check them for voltage, then disconnect the battery and check for continuity to the starter solenoid/hot in run/etc. Another option would be to connect the hot wire to one wire at a time to see what happens... I don't like the trial by fire option though. Seems somewhat unsafe... <insert disclaimer>

Edit: oh and seriously, just get a manual. Wiring diagrams aren't bad. I'd look it up but I'm not at home.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I think you are going about this all wrong. All you need to do is hook up a kill switch somewhere and you can go ahead and turn the ignition without a key. What's the problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, heres the long version (as if it matters..)

My bronco has an alarm, which doesn't work anymore because I dropped the only key fab I had in the water. Luckily, it wasn't armed. However, after 60 sec (i think) the alarm kills the ignition, so now I can use the key to turn on power, but when I turn it to start, it does nothing. I have been popping hte hood and starting it with a screwdriver for a while now, which is GHETTO!!

So what i'm doing is deleting the key, putting a power (toggle) switch on the instrument panel, along with a pushbutton, which is already installed. I want to be able to flip the switch, and push the button, and voila, start.

Yes, I can hook up the button, and use the key switch for power, but I think thats still a little ghetto.

What I would like to do is to splice into the existing wires, run them to the swtich, etc. This way I"ll still have the unbasterdized plug in the base of the steering column, so if I ever want to, I can buy a new key switch and plug it in where it goes, no problems.

I know its a long, pain in the @$$ to do, but I want to. I hate carrying keys, always have. since this truck in paid off, in great condition, and MINE, I'd like to make it a little more ..me.

So that's the why.

Heres a pic of the plug at the base of the steering wheel, best I can figure..it's got four wires going into it (the big yellow ones) that have constant 12.4 volts, (give or take) I am trying to find which one of these I need to splice into.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I think you are over complicating a simple fix.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
If you just disconnect the power to the alarm, it wont kill the ignition. If you dont want to carry a key, just pull all the tumblers out of the lock, and put it back.
I dont like carrying keys either, but IMO you are making it a lot harder than it needs to be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
j.r. Nice,
Trust me, I tried that. The first thing I did was drag all that crap out from under the dash, unplug it, etc, and it still wouldn't start, then when I pluged it back in, the alarm went off. since I didn't have the fab, the only way to ge the alarm to stop was to unplug it again. The next stop was the ford dealership, where I was told "Yeah, it's a stock alarm, but not for this truck" and whomever had it before me did a good job of installing it, so taking it out is way over my head, since i've never been much of a car thief. And theres no seial number on the alarm "brain," or any other markers, so ordering another remote, or fab, is out.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I bought my truck with a kick ass alarm system already installed. It was not working when I bought the truck. I contacted the manufacturer and got a manual for it and got it working after taking it to a tech. The tech got it working and showed me how to enter my own 4 digit password. So I could not forget, I wrote it really small on my window sill. About a year later, i forgot I wrote the password on the window sill and painted over it.

Then about 2 years later when my alarms motion sensor decided to become overly sensitive, I could not change any settings since the password was painted over.

But guess what, I removed the fuse and This $500 alarm system was rendered inactive. It is still wired into my truck but I am able to start it up and drive it.

As long as that fuse is not re-installed, I am good to go.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
So what i'm doing is deleting the key, putting a power (toggle) switch on the instrument panel, along with a pushbutton, which is already installed. I want to be able to flip the switch, and push the button, and voila, start.

Yes, I can hook up the button, and use the key switch for power, but I think thats still a little ghetto.
So basically your going to make it so easy to steal its not funny? Where do you live so I can get a clean bronco for nothing!! :toothless:rofl::histerica

Seriously...I think your taking this over the top for something that seems like a very simple fix...Although I have never seen or messed with a car alarm, it seems that it would be easier to remove it than do what your trying to do.

I just don't get why its worth the trouble. Why not just leave your key in the ignition with the "getto pushbutton" setup. Its the same thing as having to flip a switch and then push the button. But also, you can remove the key and then volia...not as easy to steal.

KC

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
j.r. Nice,
Trust me, I tried that. The first thing I did was drag all that crap out from under the dash, unplug it, etc, and it still wouldn't start, then when I pluged it back in, the alarm went off. since I didn't have the fab, the only way to ge the alarm to stop was to unplug it again. The next stop was the ford dealership, where I was told "Yeah, it's a stock alarm, but not for this truck" and whomever had it before me did a good job of installing it, so taking it out is way over my head, since i've never been much of a car thief. And theres no seial number on the alarm "brain," or any other markers, so ordering another remote, or fab, is out.
got any info on the brain, got any pics of it?
From the way you are describing it, it sounds like an "old school" (Techne Ungo etc) alarm and there would not be a transmitter. It is merely tied into the ignition. You'd have an entry delay (usually was 25 - 45 secs) and in that time, the key had to be turned to shut the alarm off.
Most RF alarms are instantaneous (upon door opening) and wont deactivate just by turning on the ignition, as you indicated yours does. If you are sure you killed power to it, and the ignition kill activated, there is possibly a relay in the brain or another relay somewhere.

I would think that it would be easiest to track down the Ford "start" wire and remove their interrupt.
Most of them also had a micro switch or push button for the "valet" function. Look carefully around the dash and see if you can find that.
Just an idea
J. R.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There should be a relay installed that is interupting your starter wire. Find the relay and connect the wires that are on the center pin with the bottom one that is vertical. It should be the red/light blue

You would want to connect 87a and 30

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. But also, you can remove the key and then volia...not as easy to steal.

KC
Somewhat true, but in this case..the key turns ..without the key. I priced a new ignition switch, and they are more than I wanted to spend, this way, I think, is cooler :)

It wont be..that simple to steal :) I read the thread on putting switches here and there, lol. But I didn't want to put ALL the details, out there for anyone looking for a nice, free bronco

Bronco Boy,

Thanks, that pic helped alot! I wish I had that 5 hours ago!!

Thanks for all your inputs, and help

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I priced a new ignition switch, and they are more than I wanted to spend
12 bucks is to much for an Lock cylinder? Or was it the lower one on the column? or am I missing somthing? Just wondering, what was the price?

KC :beer

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
12 bucks is to much for an Lock cylinder? Or was it the lower one on the column? or am I missing somthing? Just wondering, what was the price?

KC :beer
The more i read, the more chest slapping I'm doing.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts