Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,070 Posts
On a 90 the glovebox uses the same key as the tailgate. Is that the case with a 96? If so, try taking the glovebox lock to the locksmith, since it's easier to get to than the tailgate. Some manufacturers include a number on the back of the glovebox lock which can be used to punch out a new key, but I don't know if that's the case with our Broncos. :shrug

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Have you tried your door/ignition key in the tailgate?

Aren't the '96s one-key trucks? My old man had a '96 F-150, and one key unlocked the doors, glove box, and ignition. My '89 Bronco has a round key for the doors, glove box, center console, and tailgate, and a square key for the ignition.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,238 Posts
I don't have a key for mine either, I gotta try and get one. Maybe I'll see if my old 88's key will fit my 96 -.-

·
Registered
710 Posts
it's not hard at all to remove the tailgate key switch. You may or may not have to cut and re-splice a few wires though, just make sure you leave yourself plenty of wire to work with when you make the cut. as far as the switch itself, I think it's just held on by a little spring clip.

I've always wanted to rig up another key-fob to open and close my tailgate window, the only drawback I see to it is then I'd have to fob's in my pocket with the keys.

it would be nice to have the single key operate everything, and any locksmith worth his salt would be able to accomplish that, the only drawback I see to it is the ignitions in fords are notorious p.o.s.'s so when your ignition switch breaks you'll be back to 2 keys again.

good luck, hope you figure something out.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,238 Posts
I've always wanted to rig up another key-fob to open and close my tailgate window, the only drawback I see to it is then I'd have to fob's in my pocket with the keys.
I've seen remotestart/doorlock combos that include a trunk release button you could use for just that, and on one, nice fob. I eventually want to do the same.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've seen remotestart/doorlock combos that include a trunk release button you could use for just that, and on one, nice fob. I eventually want to do the same.
I didn't know that they made aftermarket key fobs. I guess all you would have to do is go through the programming procedure like you got a new one. That shines a whole new light on it, the only reason I haven't tried it yet is I didn't want 2 key fobs in my pocket. If I can get an aftermarket one that will control the doors and have another button then that would be golden. I thought about the "panic" button, but i believe that it is all one unit that controls the door locks as well, so that wouldn't help me a bit as I don't want to disable the regular function of the factory alarm and door locks.

I've accomplished something today after all...

Something for the OP (smiledr) to look into as well, how handy would that be to put your groceries or fishing hunting gear away...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts