Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

King Ranch towing Bronc

2K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  BT93 
#1 ·
Yesterday I had to tow my Bronco a good 50 miles with my fathers 2006 King Ranch F-150. Reason for it is I lifted my Bronco a bit;) and had to get an extended driveshaft made (No its not broken its just shaftless......Before anyone makes the Oh look a Ford pulling a Ford comment....((Not on this website)) :goodfinge I have to say I was pretty impressed with the power on this truck. It pulled the Bronco with the extremely heavy triple axle trailer it was sittin on, quite nicely. I am used to a diesel f-250 and at first I really thought the 150 was gonna fall short but it really didnt. I was wondering if any of you guys own a similar truck and have towed with it and how reliable has it been? I may get rid of my CTS and buy one of these.

See less See more
#4 ·
That Bronc should be about 1-2ft back on top of the axles, look at the rear droop on the F150. I wouldnt worry about power to pull just the tranny, brakes and rear end:goodfinge

#6 ·
This is my cousins truck.

this is my old expedition

This is my new truck. I havent had to tow with it yet

These new 5.4's are 300 horse and you can tell they are stronger than the 5.4 trucks up to 2003.

#9 ·
BT93 said:
TThese new 5.4's are 300 horse and you can tell they are stronger than the 5.4 trucks up to 2003.
Speak for yourself, my mom's '05 F-150 has no balls at ALL, the only time it feels powerful is when you're going 70-80 down the highway and floor it, it's topend is good (at around 3800rpm) but it's nothing off the line. My dad's old '01 F-150 would have SMOKED this new truck. I miss that '01, I'm dissapointed with Ford's newest models :whiteflag

#11 ·
I guess I'd rather have the low end torque of the late 90's Fords than the high horsepower of the more recent trucks.

#12 ·
:stupid

#17 ·
i have a 97' Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4L with air suspension. thought about using it to tow the bronco but after crunching the numbers it really puts the expedition to its limits. flow towing maybe ok, just have a tough time stoppping. flat towing with trailer brakes would be better but like mentioned i worry about the tranny and etc.
i dont think its wise to use a 1/2 truck to tow a bronco for long trips.

#18 ·
The Bronco was put in that position so that the strap down eyes on the trailer would be in the rite position. The F-150 pulls a 38 Foot fiberglass RV with no problem but that has electric brakes and its a 2005 so they work damn good. The Bronco trailer has non functioning brakes. Thats what worried me. The trailer is my cousins, he owns a 400 acre nursery down here so thats his small one:doh0715: Pretty soon Im gonna be posting pics of the new and improved driveshaft:rockon

#19 ·
-Spazmatic- said:
Speak for yourself, my mom's '05 F-150 has no balls at ALL, the only time it feels powerful is when you're going 70-80 down the highway and floor it, it's topend is good (at around 3800rpm) but it's nothing off the line. My dad's old '01 F-150 would have SMOKED this new truck. I miss that '01, I'm dissapointed with Ford's newest models :whiteflag
I agree. Ford gave me a 2005 as a loaner with the 5.4 liter 300 horse engine and I wasn't really impressed with the power. Overall the truck was great, but it just didn't feel like 300 horsepower. I would say 250 is more like it

#20 ·
BADBRONCO88 said:

wow, that is way overloaded for that f150. i would guess the trailer easily weighs 3000 if not more, then 5500-6000 for the bronco....and no, i dont think you needed to move the bronco back at all, still gotta make sure you got the right amount of tounge weight, which would be around 850-1000 pounds depending on the actual weight of the trailer and bronco...hope you had brakes

otherwise looks like a decent combo. despite what you said i bet its a dream havin an f250 with a diesel to tow that rather than the f150

#21 ·
MikE2 said:
I agree. Ford gave me a 2005 as a loaner with the 5.4 liter 300 horse engine and I wasn't really impressed with the power. Overall the truck was great, but it just didn't feel like 300 horsepower. I would say 250 is more like it
I didn't say they were faster.....they are stronger guys. C'mon guys you know

#22 ·
WES said:
wow, that is way overloaded for that f150. i would guess the trailer easily weighs 3000 if not more, then 5500-6000 for the bronco....and no, i dont think you needed to move the bronco back at all, still gotta make sure you got the right amount of tounge weight, which would be around 850-1000 pounds depending on the actual weight of the trailer and bronco...hope you had brakes

otherwise looks like a decent combo. despite what you said i bet its a dream havin an f250 with a diesel to tow that rather than the f150

the towing capasity on those new F150s is like 8-9000 LBS

#24 ·
BT93 said:
This is my cousins truck.

this is my old expedition

This is my new truck. I havent had to tow with it yet

These new 5.4's are 300 horse and you can tell they are stronger than the 5.4 trucks up to 2003.

How did your expedition do towing the Bronco??? I just got an 02 4x4 with 5.4 and plan on towing the Bronco with it.

#25 ·
I wish I could use a half ton Ford to tow my bronco. It would be fine on flat ground but all the wheeling that I do involves going up mountain passes, some over 10k feet. I would worry about the rear axle and the tranny to much to tow with a half ton truck, but that is me. That is one of the big reasons that I have not purchased a truck yet, saving my pennies for a Powerstroke or a Cummins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.