Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No need for much explaination on doing this swap, you all know how wonderful the ttb is(Ill post carnage pics of it later). So after many fustrating attempts at wheeling with the ttb I have decided to upgrade to one tons. I purchased an 85-91 kingpin axle and plan to run leafs up front. The rear already has a dana 61 swapped under it, but will be replaced once I finish the front. Anyways some axle tear down and rebuild...
The condition it arrived in.

Tear down.

This is after removing and cleaning knuckles, the kingpins looked new with no wear in the bushings, which made me happy.

I replaced all the seals, except for inner axle seals, hopefully they will be okay. I decided to bring everything home for the reassembly.

New rear springs to replace lift blocks installed by previous owner.

That as far as I made it this weekend. Im going to go to the pull a part next weekend and source some parts.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
what are you using for leaf hangers?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what the trip to the pull a part will be for. Going to try and source some stock hangers and brackets for the rear. The front will have a cross member out of 2x4 and have 4x4 hangers under that. I figured I will mount the leaf spring eyelet at six inches below the frame horn to start with. Stock steering for now.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Thats what the trip to the pull a part will be for. Going to try and source some stock hangers and brackets for the rear. The front will have a cross member out of 2x4 and have 4x4 hangers under that. I figured I will mount the leaf spring eyelet at six inches below the frame horn to start with. Stock steering for now.
yards in cali won't let you bring in anything to cut rivets with. I'm guessin' that they don't care out there. My d60 was just as nasty lookn' when I got it. As soon as I topped it off, it was leakn' from both inner seals.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Are you going to upgrade the stub shafts to 35 spline? i found the 31 spline outers to be the weak link in my d60, and when one shattered it destroyed the spindle, bearings, hub, etc.. ended up costing a lot more to fix than if i had just upgraded to 35 spline in the beginning and never broke anything.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Are you going to upgrade the stub shafts to 35 spline? i found the 31 spline outers to be the weak link in my d60, and when one shattered it destroyed the spindle, bearings, hub, etc.. ended up costing a lot more to fix than if i had just upgraded to 35 spline in the beginning and never broke anything.
the newer ones have 31 spline outters? Cause his are 30

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I cringed when the axle arrived at my work, but couldnt find one locally. So bought it unseen off of nc4x4. The worst part was removing the old u-joints, had to use a wire wheel to even find the ends to the cap retaining rings. Then had to use the good old "strong arm" press and some GM heat valve lube(way better than PB Blaster) to remove the caps. So after three broken screwdrivers, 3 hours and one smashed thumb I had the old ones out.

Im already loving the attention this thing draws. The neighbor's kids came over and wanted to look at the gun I had on my front porch... No worries though because I was quick to inform them that it was not a gun, but a super cannon and not to be touched by children, aren't kids just awesome. lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going to run the stock 30 for now. I figured they are stronger than my ttb was and I only broke one ttb outer. Ill probably upgrade when i do the warn premium hubs.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Going to run the stock 30 for now. I figured they are stronger than my ttb was and I only broke one ttb outer. Ill probably upgrade when i do the warn premium hubs.
That was my original plan also. Things change fast though. After I got my rig all bolted together, I decided to install arbs while I re-gear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im using leafs up front mostly due to prefrence. I think they look better than coils and it is an easier install. Im still gathering parts, Im having trouble finding leaf springs. I might try using some rear 1/2 ton springs up front.

Also have been doing a bunch of other things to the bronco. Such as 3g alt, dual batteries, all new exhaust, installed the rear springs, all new ignition system. I guess I could start a build up thread and post pics for this stuff, plus im resealing some things on the engine next weekend.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Im using leafs up front mostly due to prefrence. I think they look better than coils and it is an easier install. Im still gathering parts, Im having trouble finding leaf springs. I might try using some rear 1/2 ton springs up front.

Also have been doing a bunch of other things to the bronco. Such as 3g alt, dual batteries, all new exhaust, installed the rear springs, all new ignition system. I guess I could start a build up thread and post pics for this stuff, plus im resealing some things on the engine next weekend.
I agree on the ease of install. I think coils look better though, and if set up properly, longer radius arms will flex better. But that's amount isn't noticeable until you start getting into lotsa flex. I also agree on used rear springs for the front. Cheap, work well, and plentiful. Pretty sure that this is your build thread.:shrug no need to start another.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i am doing a leaf front d60 as well and the flex you get is directly related to the type of springs used and how you mount them. leafs can result in some very flexy suspensions if set up right.

lots of guys use stock bronco leafs up front. i am using the stock f350 front springs that came with the axle, i've read of a few guys that have done so as well. i'm not sure how they would fit on the front of a bronco, but i have heard a lot about chevy 63" springs from 1/2 tons. they are supposed to be some of the best flexing and most tunable leaf packs, iirc

·
Registered
527 Posts
i am doing a leaf front d60 as well and the flex you get is directly related to the type of springs used and how you mount them. leafs can result in some very flexy suspensions if set up right.

lots of guys use stock bronco leafs up front. i am using the stock f350 front springs that came with the axle, i've read of a few guys that have done so as well. i'm not sure how they would fit on the front of a bronco, but i have heard a lot about chevy 63" springs from 1/2 tons. they are supposed to be some of the best flexing and most tunable leaf packs, iirc
Bkos never had front leafs. would you be using a rear spring pack for the front of your SAS?
63" chevy springs are not the most convenient to use for the front of a bko. because the math does not work. Not enough frame to utilize this spring up front.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been gathering parts for my dana 60 swap for my c-150 four door bronco and I found some superduty front leaf springs from 99 F-350 for $50 bucks on craigslist thats what I will be useing I have research that they give a better ride the the leafs that came with my dana 60 that I got from a 1989 f-350.. just a thought for you..:popc1:

·
Registered
244 Posts
what are you using for leaf hangers?
Originally Posted by CoorsRacing28
Thought this would be of help, since everyone is always looking for these and are pretty rare to get now, sky makes the rear leaf spring hangers for like 120 bucks, but they look solid!

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=318

I saw that sky was making those a while back. 'bout freakn' time. $120 ain't too bad.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts