Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has had them? Wife is bad and they are saying a partial is all she needs. I have heard bad things about a partial and a few years later needing a complete knee.

Input?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
sorry to hear that. any of that knee replacement surgery is very traumatic and painful. Had a friend that did 2 complete replacements and it took him over a year to comfortably move around good. good luck. my wife is in the same boat. 2 torn meniscus and joint deterioration. she will need them one of these days.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
My mother had one done, had to stay in a rehab facility for 2 weeks and probably another 6-8 of therapy after that. She was getting around ok after the first few weeks but probably took about 6 months before she really started feeling better, she is also in her 70's so things take longer at that age.

Pretty sure I will need them at some point.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Any major orthopedic surgery like that will be pretty painful and take a lot of intense rehab. But they have really come a long way with the knee replacements in the last few years. A guy I work with had one a couple years ago and he said he wished he'd done it sooner.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The lady across the street could barely walk without a walker. She's about 48. She had her's done and is walking around like nothing ever happened. I know that I'll be due for one in a few years. With as many people that I've know that have had them, I won't think twice about doing it when the time comes. Sure beats living with the pain and the lack of mobility. I don't let it stop me, but after a while, the pain can get bothersome.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So no one has been told they needed a partial?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,659 Posts
sorry bud... I got nuthin' on that one. They took my foot, but my knee's been holding up.
Best wishes for your little lady... of course. :beer

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
I'll just add for the record that these surgeries are:

1. Very Brutal
2. Will Hurt like Hell for a few days after.
3. Are very dependent on how much effort you put into them after surgery for your rehab and recovery.

Explanations to follow......

1. When people think of surgery, many times, they vision a room with Mozart playing in the background and the surgeon performing small intricate maneuvers.

Ortho Surgery AIN'T LIKE THAT. It sounds like they're building a house in that room. There's a lot of sawing and hammering going on in there to replace a major joint like a knee or hip.

2. See explanation 1. But unlike the arthritic joint that hurts bad, you take medicine to relieve the pain and it goes away, only to return later. The new joint doesn't hurt as bad or at all And won't anymore. Yes, there are bad surgeons who do bad work and misalign or do shotty work, just like Mechanics. Ask around, check with people who have had them done, see who they used, and decide who to see and who to avoid.

3. After surgery, you're going to be sore, stiff and not want to move. THAT"S THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO. Rehab will come and get you up and moving again. The more effort you put into moving, the faster you will recover and better you will feel.

I have a speal I tell everyone I take care of post op who's had a joint replaced. I tell them:
" It's like when you were a kid. You'll be out with your friends riding your bike, climbing trees, having fun. Eventually you either fall off your bike, fall out of the trees and the next morning...... You're so sore you don't even want to get out of bed. Eventually one of your friends comes over and gets you out of bed and you start moving. Slowly at first, but, eventually, you're back out riding your bike and climbing the trees."

That's what a total joint is like.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
My cuz had both knees replaced and a shoulder and he play tennis all the time, the doctors tell him not to but he says its fine. He is also in his 60's just an FYI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts