Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I'm in the middle of pulling out my 94 Bronco's 5.0 (after it detonated last Dec.) and just had some questions about the knock sensor.

Is the knock sensor a "must have" when putting in a new engine?

If a 5.0 going back into the truck has no provision for a knock sensor, can the knock sensor just be disregarded?

The reason I am asking is some Ford 5.0 engines don't have a knock sensor - while some do (understandable), but what major impact could possibly occur if the knock sensor is not used or plugged in?

Why do the Ford Truck 5.0's have knock sensors anyway (may be a stupid question, but figured I'd ask anyway...)?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steve83 said:
I dunno why only some 5.0s got a KS, but leaving it disconnected from an EEC that expects to see it will probably set a code & turn on the CEL. But connecting it without installing it to the block should be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I was thinking if it were disconnected I may see or get some type of CEL or error code. Then I also thought about just doing what you said, by leaving the harness connected to the sensor and just tying up the "dangling sensor" somewhere out of the way.

Do the trucks have an issue with spark knock, is that why Ford seems to have incorporated the KS into those 5.0's?

I would think if the vehicle is properly maintained, running proper fuel & properly tuned, that spark knock would be a non-issue for most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.