Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way to test the knock sensor on a 93 302? it is not mine but a friends f 150 and i do not want to rip the whole intake off to get to that piece of shit. he says it is throwing a code for knock sensor. i havent tested it yet i am going to look at it tommorow and see what is going on. i think his timing maybe off or something but i got to ask before i go and start taking shit off i dont need too. thanks

ken

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
It's piezoelectric, so theoretically, you should be able to whack it with something and get a measurable voltage out of it.

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve83 said:
Haynes describes how to test it.

i figured as much but im at work and dont have the manual with me. can i test it without tearing the intake off.

·
Registered
610 Posts
here ya go:

TESTING

With ignition ON and engine OFF, measure voltage between KS connector terminals. If voltage reading is 2.4-2.6V, the circuit between the ECM and KS is okay.

With engine running at idle and 3000 rpm, measure voltage using a DVOM on the AC setting between the KS terminals. If the AC voltage reading increases as the rpm

Stole this from autozone.com. What year/motor you testing?

edit: Sorry didnt read that. "93 302 f150". also the directions for removal dont say you have to yank the engine apart. you should be able to get to it, maybe from under the truck?

·
Registered
610 Posts
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Disconnect the wiring from the sensor.

Remove the sensor from the cylinder block.

To install:

Attach the KS to the cylinder block.

Attach the electrical connector to the sensor.

Connect the negative battery cable.

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm okay i just know that when i put the engine in the knock sensor is way in the back of the engine i will see if i can get to it first. thanks for the help

·
Registered
610 Posts
yeah you'll have to get to it to unplug it and test it..so if you can do that, you can probably take it out.. Should either be on the lower intake manifold towards the rear or in the rear of the engine between the two bellhouseing bolts...good luck!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
hmm okay i just know that when i put the engine in the knock sensor is way in the back of the engine i will see if i can get to it first. thanks for the help
Please make sure you post back and let us know how you make out......

·
Registered
127 Posts
DON'T WHACK THE SENSOR.

To test it, you can do a waveform on it, or a multimeter should get a readin (an analog one would be best)

Back probe the connector with your red lead, and black lead goes to ground.

You can either "pat" the sensor with 3 fingers, or you can hit the engine block near the sensor with a hammer, and watch for voltage spikes. If you hit the sensor itself too hard, you will damage it and need to replace it.

Also, on that motor, it screws into the top of the block, right behind the intake on the passenger side

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Oh jeebus...I wasn't suggesting he use a 32-oz. mini sledge at full speed! :smash lol.

I usually just hook 'em up (electrically) first, then tap 'em on a countertop. :thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You don't have to remove anything to get to the knock sensor. It is on the back of the block, on top, behind the intake manifold.

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the knock sensor was bad. i tested it and it was reading barely .03 so i replaced it, not easy with big arms, broke the old one trying to get it out. took off the upper intake, got the old one out, and replaced it with a new one. good to go know. so when you all think your timing is iff check the knock sensor.

·
Registered
610 Posts
great glad it worked out! when i got home i went to see if i coudl get to it, and i didnt have a problem...but i have small arms. Remember: you should always have someone bigger than you to help with the heavy stuff, someone smaller than you to get into the tight spots, and enough beer to keep everyone oblivious to the fact that you're using them for free labor....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts