Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I got a lot of help on a fuel pump issue I had not too long ago so I hope you guys can help me with this one.

My wife was driving to work this morning and when she got up to about 25 mph there was a knocking. She came to get me and when we were out the knocking/thumping got a lot worse. We pulled over and I had her drive the truck slowly as I walked beside it and the knocking was definitely coming from the rear end. I just couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. So we limped the truck home. On the way, it wouldn't even drive at idling speed without knocking. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Ive seen really bad spider gears make sounds, Ring gear bolts that have backed off, You might want to pull the diff cover to inspect. Pull rear drums first to inspect brakes for debris first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 351w500. I'll pull the diff cover in a bit. It's pretty cold outside so I have to psych myself up to go out and deal with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I slid up under the truck to take off the diff cover and this is what I discovered. This line was torn off. I don't know what it's for, but could this be the source of my problem?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Pic does not work

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally found something about it. It's just a vent hose. So it's not the source of my problem. I guess it's back out to the cold for me to remove the diff cover.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
could be pinion bearing going bad, u-joints, maybe even slip joint messed up. pull the cover and look inside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I opened the diff cover and I believe I found the culprit. I'll upload a pic in just a min.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, here's what I found. Can someone tell me what this part is that's broke and point me to a tutorial on how to fix it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well from the posts I was able to find on here and elsewhere, everything says that the pinion gear is just suppose to come right out after taking out the bolt. Mine isn't coming out and the bolt is not broken. As you can see from the pic, it's hitting the gear to the left. Any ideas on what to do to get it out?

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Well from the posts I was able to find on here and elsewhere, everything says that the pinion gear is just suppose to come right out after taking out the bolt. Mine isn't coming out and the bolt is not broken. As you can see from the pic, it's hitting the gear to the left. Any ideas on what to do to get it out?

some carriers are like this, you just got to get the ring gear off first in this case.... have fun

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know if I'm blind or tired or what, but I can't find anything about removing the rear axles on a 1996 Bronco. Anyone know the easiest way to do this? It looks like I just need to back them out a little bit so I can get everything out so I can remove the pinion shaft.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got to working on the truck again today. Can someone tell me the easiest way to remove the axles or point me to a tutorial on it? I can't find anything on here, although I'm sure there has to be one.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
I got to working on the truck again today. Can someone tell me the easiest way to remove the axles or point me to a tutorial on it? I can't find anything on here, although I'm sure there has to be one.

Thanks for any help
If you are gunna tackle this on your own the first thing you should do is get a manual, IMO Haynes is the best of what you can find in a parts store anyway

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
thats just a broken center pin. rotate the carrier till you see the small bolt. remove it, and then knock out the pin. make sure you do it at an angle where it comes out at you instead of going back inside. its just more difficult to get out then. there is no need to remove axles, c clips, spiders, nothing. just swap the center pins and you should be fine. any truck 8.8 rear should be the same.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
I'm curious as to what caused it to break, thats a pretty hefty pin. By the looks of it seems somthing was banging against it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts