Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - one of my first posts here........
My 96 Bronco has a knock when I make a left turn. Would this be ball joints? I just greased everything up front a couln't find anything obvious. It knocks or clunks if you will, once when steering into a turn, can't really feel it through the Steering wheel or anything.

TIA - Brian

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Just so you know, list all your information

<~~~~over there like i did.

That way you don't have to post up information everytime.

a 96 more than likely has auto-hubs from the factory, if they haven't been replaced with manuals. The auto hub may be locking up.

·
Registered
776 Posts
theres a lot of stuff down there it could be, you can check the ball joints easily....lift a fron tire off the ground and then try to push the top and pull bottem and see if there is any play, if there is replace them if not you are most likley good to go. You should prolly also check the axle pivot bushings and raidus are bushings. My favorite way to check stuff is to lay under the front end while I have a buddy (I trust) turn the steering wheel. And what Bronco Rob said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does still have the auto-hubs. Anyway to check thoses? I did give the wheels the wiggle test while off the ground for the ball joints, no movement.
I'll do the, crawl under and have someone turn the wheel check.

P.S. - Updated my info - Thanks

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
To check auto hubs? No, not really i don't think. There is a thread somewhere on how they work, i know Steve83 and i got into a conversation about it one time, can't remember the name of the thread though.

My Manual Warn's were only about $60.00 and real easy to install.

I am not saying this is the problem though. And you might want to investigate a bit more before you start throwing money at the problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Could be the dust shield is loose. That's what happened on mine. Just beat it with a hammer or move it around and see if it helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i have the same problems and i have 2wd in my truck now. Should like the shocks are bottoming out. I-beam pivots, bushings, radius arm bushings, crossmember engine mounts, dust shields. I still cant find the problem to mine though.
Mike

·
Registered
641 Posts
It is not the hubs. Both of mine went bad and the most noise they made was a Racheting sound like someone stuck a baseball card in bike spokes. VERY easy to swap out and DEFINITELY suggest doing it. Auto hubs run about $370 per side. I picked up superwinch manuals for 80. Took me an hour for the entire swap. And that includes going back inside for another beer :beer

·
Registered
190 Posts
This may sound stupid but about a month or so ago my bronco was doing the same thing when you turned left. It ended up being my starter was lose so when i turned it hit the flywheel and made an awful noice. I found the problem and put some loctite on the bolts and tightened em back down. Hasn't made another noice since. Just a thought.

Jared

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys its been doing nothing but pouring down rain!!!!! Soooooooooo.
Anyway I have more things to check out. Thanks for the responses. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts