Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well that's one way to do it but I have always had better luck with not being an ass to the cop. I know there's a few crappy cops out there but a majority of them are pretty fair there just people trying to do there job like everyone elts. You don't have to admit to the wrong doing that you did or didn't do just not being a dick about it might get you a warning instead of a full ticket. theres been several cases im pretty sure that i got a warning instead of a ticket because i was just nice to them, don't kiss there ass just treat them like a person.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
Well that was annoying. Being a Cop has got to be infuriating dealing with some of these people.

I mean, I don't think he technically did anything wrong.....he was just a real asshole about it.

Just watched another video of his.....seemed like the cop was just trying to get some info about an accident... I hope he didn't withhold any information just for the sake of his little anti-cop videos...

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Ok, maybe there is some good info if you have something to hide. All that for a simple ticket where the guy admits he got the speed limit wrong.

But the real question is who was the fawker in the end with the wife beater on? Perhaps I would have acted similar if that guy was around when I'm getting pulled over.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
The first time i got pulled over by a cop i think i was 17, I had heard my friends saying things like "don't answer questions, it's always a trap just play dumb blh blh blh"
(for reference I was going about 75-80 on the freeway, 65 zone)

so the cop walks up to my window
Cop: Do you know why i pulled you over?
Me: No
Cop: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: No.. my speedometer doesn't work
Cop: How fast would you guess you were going?
Me: um... 65?
Cop: .......I'm just going to write you up for 75.

and of course i got a ticket.

IN HINDSIGHT, the cop was probably going to let me go until i was a jack ass about it.

Learning from that, the next time I got pulled over in a similar situation, while passing some cars on a windy mountain road (55mph universal speed limit. it wasn't posted) It went a little more like this:

Cop: Do you know why i pulled you over?
Me: Yes
Cop: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Yes
Cop: I clocked you at 110 when you passed those cars back there.
Me: oh.. heh...
Cop: What do you have in this thing?

The cop went on to talk to me about cars and stuff a bit, then he suggested a career in law enforcement. I didn't get a ticket, and i went on my way.

On my first date with the girl who is now my wife, I got pulled over for smoking the tires down the block for 2 gears. i guess i was a bit of a show off. I didn't see the cop in the driveway pulling out and my block-long burnout went right past him. he pulled me over. I wasn't a jackass, and i didn't get a ticket then either. instead, i just got a funny story to tell heheh.

I don't think being a jackass to authority ever gets you anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It never pays to be a total ass to cops.

I try to treat them with respect. I expect the same in return.
However if I feel im being railroaded or singled out for some reason, I hope I have the restraint to still be nice. Otherwise, I might have to say, "I dont answer questions"

In the video it plainly says, dont try this unless you are video taping it. Yes, and make sure it goes directly to the cloud, cause after they drag your ass out of the car and kick your teeth in and haul you off to jail, your camera is going to mysteriously disappear.

Not long ago i got pulled over in the challenger. I was nice, did as they asked. Didnt volunteer any information. Just gave them my stuff and let them do their job. when he pulled up my record and saw I had NEVER had a ticket or even been pulled over, he let me go.

always be polite, chances are they dont want to be there any more than you do.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
I'll be supportive of the police when and where it's appropriate... but I will tell you this, you end up on the wrong end of a bad cop, or group of cops and you won't be blowing off this kind of advice so easily.

I generally follow the advice given by this guy and many others I've seen or talked too, from lawyers to retired cops (the folks from L.E.A.P. are especially vocal on these points). I do roll my window down completely... because I'm usually in my Bronco (if I'm not on the bike) so it's a larger "barrier" to consider than a shorter car and I don't wish to impede the transaction taking place. Beyond that... I'm not there for friendly banter, I'm in the middle of going somewhere and probably doing something. It's their job to give me a ticket or worse... they are not pulling me over to be my friend. I will co-operate but immediately invoke my right to STFU. I'll give my required info and answer only the very basic questions... no "friendly banter", this is a business transaction and if there appears to be any doubt about the situation, I will simply ask "Am I free to go?"

I've been lied too, lied about and I've been tricked (stupid, young & drunk) by cops. I've watched cops abuse my family members and the family dog... for kicks. I've had the courts try and force me to take a plea for something I didn't do. That said... I've also received a few warnings and been on my way with a "Thank you, Sir." I've ridden to rally's, drank whiskey and smoked my pot with cops (on vacation). We've laughed and shared good times... I know not every one of them is "out to get me". And besides, I'm not that important.

You don't have to be an asshole about it... but you don't have to bend over either. The cop on the other end may be a nice guy or a regular guy, he may be having a bad day or he may just be an asshole with an attitude and a badge... I don't know and I don't care. My concern at that moment is my own safety, freedom and my financial well being. All of which are under threat, when I'm dealing with an officer of the law.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
You don't have to be an asshole about it... but you don't have to bend over either.
And I think that's what it comes down too...... no need to kiss ass or be BFFs.... just be respectful.

The guy in the video is giving great advice......if you're smart enough to separate the what he's telling from how he tells you to do it.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
I just had a thought.......may or may not be true..........but if the people in the comments are the same people the police have to deal with day in and day out........(self-entitled pricks who preach "constitutional rights", victimless "crime", "****ing pigs" blah blah blah)

Then it's no wonder that cops go insane or have NO patience for these assholes. Imagine......dealing with THAT guy every day, year after year....

Just the way the people in the comments talk, the way this kenny guy acts, it's no wonder they have so much Police interaction when they live life feeling entitled to do whatever the hell they want, and then feel persecuted when they're confronted for breaking "insert corrupt victim-less crime here"

And then Kenny Cocksucker here just laughs about the whole thing as he drives away...... like he just won some glorious battle against the "Evil police-state" :shrug

Don't get me wrong, I love the constitution, and I believe in individual, and state rights.... And I DO believe the government has gone too far in taking power....

But I also love the police for going out and doing Society's dirty work.

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
I didn't watch the video because I have watched plenty others like it and I live it sometimes. If you get pulled over, it's true you don't have to answer questions,, but just don't be an ass about it and be respectful. Attitude goes a long way with me. You don't even have to call me sir or officer. I don't give a shit about that. I don't even care if you have 20 points on your license and been stopped a hundred times. When people are being polite to me, they aren't getting a ticket. They get a drive safely and have a good night, unless they are drunk or have warrants. If there was a crime committed, that's another story, like the three armed robbers my partner and I found and pulled over a couple weeks ago. And even then, those guys didn't try to run from us and they were respectful to us. They did go to jail though. :toothless

·
Registered
728 Posts
Your sir are one of the good few out there still. :thumbup Maybe I am a bit biased by the small town rent a cops I grew up around, or the bad cops I see constantly see online that get away with being bad cops. The ones I grew up around spent more time at the local gas station, or giving speeding tickets, than doing anything about any real crime. The bad cops seem to get protected by their unions, much like bad teachers do. I am not a fan of the current state of public education either. Makes me glad I do not have kids. If government is involved, the chances are high that I am not going to like it much. I find myself being more of a libertarian every day. While I do not fully agree with any one party, as I am not a lemming, I seem to agree more with the libertarian viewpoint.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What ever you want to think of the guy or whatever you want to think of cops is OK. If your right is to sit there and NOT answer ? and you want to exercise that right than so be it. The guy got his ticket and the cop did his job....see you in court. I've watched some of these vids and almost all seem to have the person driving off with no laws broken for lack of interaction with the cop. I would say if you choose this path to always show your hands and don't make any fast moves. The term everyone seems to like is to act "civil to your fellow man".

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,979 Posts
What a dick. I've only had a few encounters while hammer down big time, but was always polite, and have gotten reduced tickets instead.

Adrianspeeder

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
Attitude goes a long way with me. You don't even have to call me sir or officer. I don't give a shit about that. I don't even care if you have 20 points on your license and been stopped a hundred times. When people are being polite to me, they aren't getting a ticket.
And we thank you for being one of the good ones out there bud! :beer

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I just watched the video, guys a total dick. I wouldn't be surprised if he's like this to everyone, or at least anyone with any authority. And for anyone who didn't watch it he's gonna have to appear in court because of this. I suppose if you had illegal substances or have been drinking this MIGHT work but other than that this seems like a good way to waste more of your time having to appear in court. Technically nothing he did was illegal, but he shure was being a real jerk about it. This guy seems like a grumpy old asshole, he probably pulls this kind of shit on a regular basis, being an ass to anyone with any authority because he can.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
The simple fact that he smirked during the "conversation", and then laughed as he drove off, suggests he does this just to instigate. If he was legitimately concerned about police, he would avoid any action that would cause interaction with them....like speeding.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did not watch the video; I have probably seen it before. No doubt from the comments, the guy is a bitch.

However, speaking generically, I never speak to an officer in a formal setting other than to inform him that I have nothing to say and verbalize my info. I have never gotten a speeding ticket that I did not deserve. It is neither impolite nor impolitic to not speak to the police when you are being detained in any way. If I am being pulled over for speeding, I give my info: name, address, and DOB (verbally), DL, proof of insurance and registration, and wait. There are many good reasons for this. Being rude or a bitch is not required, by either party. I speak to them almost daily, informally. Some are my friends.

This mode of behavior has worked well for me, personally. No, not to get out of the ticket, but to prevent me from becoming belligerent, I understand my own faults. But, I have not gotten a speeding ticket in many years because I do not speed. Amazing the correlation. . .

This always seemed fairly rational to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think being a jackass to authority ever gets you anywhere.
True enough, but there's no reason to participate in a fishing expedition. I've been pulled over for speeding and I don't ever give them any grief about that. They caught me fair and square. If they start fishing though, I shut em down.

Officer I don't want to be uncooperative, but my lawyer told me it's never in anyone's interest to answer questions or consent to a search. I'd like to be on my way as soon as possible.

Once I got a threat of having to wait for a k9, but "do what you gotta do" seemed to work.

Silence is your friend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts