Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... well I spent 3 good hours cleaning tonight.... now have new U-joints and seals on my axles, have changed the spindle bearings, cleaned and preped my coil towers, lower coil mounts, knuckles, and lots of small stuff too.... Still SOOO much more to do....

I was looking at my knuckles thinking about my tie rod flip and was looking at the axle housing sitting there beside them.... It looks like the steering is going to smack the stock trac bar mount.... Im guessing this is a known fact I missed along the way....

will they hit?

Thanks!!
Bob

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
MrBob said:
OK... well I spent 3 good hours cleaning tonight.... now have new U-joints and seals on my axles, have changed the spindle bearings, cleaned and preped my coil towers, lower coil mounts, knuckles, and lots of small stuff too.... Still SOOO much more to do....

I was looking at my knuckles thinking about my tie rod flip and was looking at the axle housing sitting there beside them.... It looks like the steering is going to smack the stock trac bar mount.... Im guessing this is a known fact I missed along the way....

will they hit?

Thanks!!
Bob
Bob, need a bit more info.....example: my Chevy knuckles (which come with TRE on top to begin) do not hit the ford trackbar mount under any turning conditions. matter of fact mine is actually spaced forward 1.25" and clears fine. Crazed has knuckle under as well, with Ford knuckles and I've heard no issues from him. both our axles are the 78-79 variety. what specifically do you plan to run?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.... It was very late and I was tired!!! hehehe...

And first off, it was SOOO cool to see your truck in broncodriver shadofax!!

I have a 1976 D44... I plan on doing knuckle under with 76 knuckles, and 86+ F350 steering....

Cheers
Bob

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
MrBob said:
Sorry.... It was very late and I was tired!!! hehehe...

And first off, it was SOOO cool to see your truck in broncodriver shadofax!!

I have a 1976 D44... I plan on doing knuckle under with 76 knuckles, and 86+ F350 steering....

Cheers
Bob
Thank ya kindly Mr Bob. :beer

Do you have a measurement of where your current '76 axle/trackbar is related to the axle (how far it sticks out, shouldn't be much different than our 78-79)? How about a measurement of where your knuckles are in relation to this other measurement. At least that way I can give you some numbers back on where I am at (and others may chime in) so we can figure out why you might have an issue (aside from using F350 stock steering with bent components, can't help ya there). I saw your other post, and while I see your interest in stock "accessible" stuff, chevy TRE's are "stock", very available practically anywhere, likely better than the ford stuff, cheap (about $100 for all 4), and many stores will have them with lifetime warranty. DOM, well not as accessible, but stonger, and almost surely cheaper as well vs. buying stock steering, so my suggestion there is with the $$ you save buy yourself a spare tierod. DOM/tapping is accessible, just not quite as accessible as you want. but if ya have a spare this is no issue. But you likely don't want to hear this, and that's ok, your choice.:rockon

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool... thanks for the advise....

That ford stuff was NOT cheap.... but it happens... also all the F350 stuff is lifetime, and I am not at all worried about replacing parts after every trip... thats the easy part... the hard part is making sure I get home from every trip....

One other concern that I have is that there are very few machine shops locally that are not TOTAL rip-offs.... in fact there may not be any..... I will do almost anything to stat away from them...

on the chevy tie rod end us ford guys use as a " right outer" is the hole for the drag link a tie rod hole? or is that a stabilizer hole? because I know that the blazers ( 89-91 ) have a solid looking tie rod bar with nice joints too.... but that is a stabilizer hole, large enough for a tie rod mind you....that also crossed my mind....

I guess that lack of a good machine shop, and wanting easy to find parts has lead me awat currently from the DOM setup...

I have also been running 35s and 36s on my TTB for 2 years now... I did 4 ball jounts and both outers just before I did the lift and stuff.... my front end is still rock solid and I have put lots of very hard KMS on the truck....

Im open to all advise I can get!!

Cheers
Bob

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
right and left outer......try to refer to it as driver or passenger side. passenger side TRE with the hole is made for the drag link attachment. best way to do it IMO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have also been running 35s and 36s on my TTB for 2 years now... I did 4 ball jounts and both outers just before I did the lift and stuff.... my front end is still rock solid and I have put lots of very hard KMS on the truck....
you're either not looking hard enough or your truck has been blessed. I just left a friends house(putting a reciever on the rear). 35's and a 6" TTB lift. Every single part of his truck is worn out. From front to rear. This truck was overhauled suspension-wise 2 years ago. Theres nothing left. Every bushing, every tie rod, every bolt has seen extreme wear. Only the sway bars are still in good shape. He drives hard, but 2 years with regular maintenance?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am a licensed automotive tech, and my specialty is mostly front ends and engines.... I wish front ends meant SASing, but sadly it does not..... I will tell you for fact I know what to look for... I will not trust even the slightest worn component 100 miles from a main road... I will change it 50 times a year, it does not matter ( life time warantee ) ... these components have lasted 100%....

I ran moog in my 1997 F150 I wheeled half as hard as the bronco... I wore them out every 3-6 months....I switched to Dana ( napa ) components components with the bronco, and have had ZERO problems since...

I am not sure really what to run... I will be honest..... I may run the stock '76 outers with a F350 drag link... I really have not decided...

and by right outer I was saying passenger outer....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts