Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bronco has been having some power/acceleration issues lately and I am open to some suggestions.

There are no codes thrown (no KOEO, no CM, and no KOER). I have recently replaced the cap/rotor and plug wires. It has new plugs (the cheap, copper core Autolites). The timing is set correctly (at the factory recommended 10 degrees).

I have recently replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter as well. The air filter has also been cleaned and oiled.

This problem started when I replaced the timing gears and chain (along with water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc.) The timing was off slightly after I replaced the timing chain and gears (slightly retarded due to the lack of slack of the new chain compared to the old one). I drove around a little bit before I was able to properly set the timing.

I am going to check the cats tomorrow. Any other suggestions that could be a likely culprit would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
if your lacking power, and it happened after the timing set was put in, then you most likely have either the cam to crank timing off, or you put the plug wires on wring.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What do you mean by power loss? does it keep up RPM's? If you can get your RPM's up like normal, it might be a tranny problem. If it idles fine and revs up fine i doubt its an ignition problem.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
If'n it were me, I'd try timing it with a vacuum gauge, instead of relying on the timing pointer and all that. Remove the SPoUt and start SLOWlY turning (advancing?) your dizzy til you hear it starting to run rough. Then replace your SPoUt and see what your vac reading is. I'm pulling 18.5--> 19 hgs down at 800 rpm at idle (after doing the 6LTU).Then take her for a test run.If it starts to ping, back off the dizzy just a TINY bit and try again.

Wash, rinse, repeat til all is good.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by power loss? does it keep up RPM's? If you can get your RPM's up like normal, it might be a tranny problem. If it idles fine and revs up fine i doubt its an ignition problem.
The truck seems to idle fine and rev up fine while it is in park (or neutral). The issue comes up while driving. The truck seem reacts slowly and accelerates slowly from a dead stop or up hills. I understand the truck is not a hot rod, but it is sluggish during acceleration where there would normally be plenty of power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same problem, mine will act fine sometimes and then other times it will idle fine, and once you start to get on it, it just acts like crap. It jumps and doesnt accelerate. I was going down the interstate yesterday and it wouldnt get over 45mph. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Myself thought carb problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts