Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of the older bronco's rear seat belts lap belts only and will they mount up to my 94 so I can take the top off this summer and strap the kids in the back? I thought someone said a specific generation were (pre '92?)

thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Corbeau makes this lap belt that's sold on JBG. Im thinking I could unbolt the shoulder harness belts and replace them with these. It would be nice if the corbeau's would buckle into the stock bronco inner part of the belts so I'd only have to swap out the outers when the top comes off. Would this be a solution? Thanks
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't trust anything other than a lap and shoulder belt or three point, just like the factory rear seat belts are, the lap belts would work but you'd have to figure out mounting, only issue is in the event of an accident the lap belt will allow the upper body to move forward and on some cases fully collapse in their lap, that being said it surely is better than nothing. But the lap/shoulder belt combo is the standard for seat belts today and is definitely much safer.

Don't forget too, the full size Broncos, I believe from 92-96 (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't intended to have the top removed, I believe any of the fsb with a third brake light and top mounted seat belts were not intended to be removed, I'll have to look but I believe it says something about it in my owners manual

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
I wouldn't put kids in the back without the top unless u have a roll bar. If that truck rolls over there is no protection for them. And if u put in a roll bar u can mount a shoulder belt to it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know what lap belt options are out there that would work in place of the shoulder belts?

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Does anyone know what lap belt options are out there that would work in place of the shoulder belts?
no lap belt would work in place of a shoulder belt.

if you want a shoulder belt but don't have one, i saw someone mount the 3rd row seats out of a suburban(?). that had the shoulder strap integrated with the seat. honestly, i like that better than the seat belt mounted to a roll cage, i think.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than the obvious that it isnt as safe as the full shoulder harness, couldnt you just unbolt the top of the harness from the removable top and use that as just a lap belt? Id think thatd be as safe as any lap belt only system. Then add a harness system that goes around the whole bench seat sort of like a kids car seat that buckles in front of their chest? A member posted it in another thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
All broncos up until 1992 had lap belts only for the back seat. In 1992 they went to three point and that also made the top "illegal" to remove along with the third brake light integrated into the top. It was never a very safe vehicle to begin with, you want safety buy a new SUV that has 87 air bags built into it.

Don't understand why Ford didn't just do what GM did and build the three point belts into the seat itself. I guess they were too lazy to slightly redesign the bench seat.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Are any of the older bronco's rear seat belts lap belts only and will they mount up to my 94 so I can take the top off this summer and strap the kids in the back? I thought someone said a specific generation were (pre '92?)

thanks
I just ordered a set of these for the rear of my 1979 that only had lap belts.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=62891276046

It shouldn't be to hard to completely replace your shoulder belts with these. It will likely require you to drill and extra hole in the floor. When I install mine I will be adding a piece of angle iron under the floor pan where the hole is drilled for added support.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Just an FYI guys, those harnesses should not be bolted to the floor (talking about the strap that goes behind you and holds the shoulder straps).

This is designed to mount to a roll bar, attaching it to the floor causes spinal compression in an accident. That's why racing sanctions do not allow it to be bolted to the floor in race cars.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You might look at this link: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html

Scroll down to the "Roadster" model. Not only does it work in the front of late 70's Broncos, it allows the installation of a 3 point seat belt in a convertible (that's really all the back seat is with the top off).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just an FYI guys, those harnesses should not be bolted to the floor (talking about the strap that goes behind you and holds the shoulder straps).

This is designed to mount to a roll bar, attaching it to the floor causes spinal compression in an accident. That's why racing sanctions do not allow it to be bolted to the floor in race cars.
The instructions for those belts specifically state to attach them to the floor.

I considered attaching them to the seat like the other two connections on the original lap seat belts but that could weaken the integrity of the seat frame by adding another hole to the frame where it wasn't designed to be.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
The instructions for those belts specifically state to attach them to the floor.

I considered attaching them to the seat like the other two connections on the original lap seat belts but that could weaken the integrity of the seat frame by adding another hole to the frame where it wasn't designed to be.
I have to also disagree with those instructions. If you were ever to get in a forceful accident with those it could be a serious compression injury. I knew someone that suffered a compression fracture in the lower part of their spine using 5 point harnesses that were only bolted through the floor.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have to also disagree with those instructions. If you were ever to get in a forceful accident with those it could be a serious compression injury. I knew someone that suffered a compression fracture in the lower part of their spine using 5 point harnesses that were only bolted through the floor.
Please explain the difference. Considering in just about every passenger vehicle made the seat belts are attached to the floor.

The harnesses I listed shouldn't be confused with race harnesses since they are not made for racing.

I understand this is a flame free zone but when you recommend people not follow the manufacturers recommendations you should bring factual data to back up your opinions relating to safety.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Please explain the difference. Considering in just about every passenger vehicle made the seat belts are attached to the floor.

The harnesses I listed shouldn't be confused with race harnesses since they are not made for racing.

I understand this is a flame free zone but when you recommend people not follow the manufacturers recommendations you should bring factual data to back up your opinions relating to safety.
Normal belts are attached to the floor after they run through a pivot point above the shoulder like the b pillar or the seat. Those manufacturers probably say something like off-road use only. Would suprise me if they don't. But without a strong pivot point above the shoulder the force is transferred over the shoulders and puts a compressive force down the spine. A lot of seats reclining mechanism also won't hold up in an accident. The seat belt stops the seat from going forward. Without that the seat travels forward creating a downward force on the shoulders even more so. I know the back seat in a bronco doesn't recline but the force still happens in an accident even without the seat traveling forward because your body will still travel forward. In my opinion lap belts would be a safer option than shoulder harnesses that aren't safely connected. Edit: just read their disclaimer. Looks like they hold no responsibility on the safety pretty much.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Normal belts are attached to the floor after they run through a pivot point above the shoulder like the b pillar or the seat. Those manufacturers probably say something like off-road use only. Would suprise me if they don't. But without a strong pivot point above the shoulder the force is transferred over the shoulders and puts a compressive force down the spine. A lot of seats reclining mechanism also won't hold up in an accident. The seat belt stops the seat from going forward. Without that the seat travels forward creating a downward force on the shoulders even more so. I know the back seat in a bronco doesn't recline but the force still happens in an accident even without the seat traveling forward because your body will still travel forward. In my opinion lap belts would be a safer option than shoulder harnesses that aren't safely connected. Edit: just read their disclaimer. Looks like they hold no responsibility on the safety pretty much.
Legally they void their own disclaimer when they give instructions on how to properly install them.

So your stance is not to use these belts? Bolt the center piece to the seat rail instead of the floor? Install a short roll bar directly behind the seat to attach to just above shoulder height?

Mine are being installed for my kids in the back seat. As no one I have talked to seems to think it is safe for them to just have lap belts on.

·
Registered
859 Posts
FSU, here is the issue...if involved in a collision if that harness's shoulder strap is bolted to the floor, the person in that strap will be thrown up from the seat and the strap will yank them back down with the force being applied over the shoulders in a downward direction, compressing the spine.

However, if that strap is attached to a bar behind the seat at shoulder level, the force will be applied more over the front of the shoulders holding the person back in the seat instead of pulling down on them.

Does that make sense?

A 5 point harness is extremely safe, as long as it's installed correctly. I saw that the manufacturer says they can be bolted to the floor, and I'm sure they will 'function' that way - but just know that in a serious accident they could cause more harm that way.

·
Registered
375 Posts
FSU, here is the issue...if involved in a collision if that harness's shoulder strap is bolted to the floor, the person in that strap will be thrown up from the seat and the strap will yank them back down with the force being applied over the shoulders in a downward direction, compressing the spine.

However, if that strap is attached to a bar behind the seat at shoulder level, the force will be applied more over the front of the shoulders holding the person back in the seat instead of pulling down on them.

Does that make sense?

A 5 point harness is extremely safe, as long as it's installed correctly. I saw that the manufacturer says they can be bolted to the floor, and I'm sure they will 'function' that way - but just know that in a serious accident they could cause more harm that way.
No that doesn't make sense. Where the harness is attached to the car/truck doesn't change the directional force of the impact.

Either place you attach it the body will still try to move either up or forward. However most upward force should be mitigated by the lap portion of the belt. The shoulder portion should eliminate the forward force.

Sorry my Photoshop skills need work. But as you can see when the person who will be harnessed shoulders doesn't reach the top of the back of the seat the point where you secure the harness makes little to no difference. Either way the top of the harness will end up tightening against the top of the seat.

Here is some more food for thought for those with kids. If you put a child my kids ages who still use booster seats in normal vehicle with shoulder belts, and you put them in a booster seat in the rear of a bronco you just put their heads 4-6"s closer to the roof in a roll over situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts