Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:banghead:banghead

HP DV6000 series laptop. At Newegg where i bought it in mid-December

I was just playing BF2 online on my laptop a few ago...running fine, no glitches, etc. And..the keyboard stopped working, completely. Couldn't even use the touch pad. I could use my wireless USB mouse, though. Video was running clear, no issues with vid card. I manual shutdowned and then now it won't restart back. Alternated pulling RAM, and that doesn't fix it either. It won't load ANY windows, and won't pull up anything with a bootup disc of any type in the CD drive...

Any ideas? This sucks..I have ALL my school files/business crap on there, including payroll, documentation of crap, etc. It's warrantied, but unfortunately it would take quite a while. My guess is it's motherboard related? Vid card seemed A-OK, RAM checked out. It's a SATA HD otherwise it'd be easy to at least grab my important files....gonna have to see if there's any SATA laptop HD enclosures, cus i only have the old-style enclosures.

:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Before you send it in for service I would make a copy of your HDD because they will wipe it. In order to get to the files it's handy to have one of these around

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

Theyre great because they interface to most standard style HDDs including SATA and PATA drives.

As for the issues you are having yea it sounds like something got cooked.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you send it in for service I would make a copy of your HDD because they will wipe it. In order to get to the files it's handy to have one of these around

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

Theyre great because they interface to most standard style HDDs including SATA and PATA drives.

As for the issues you are having yea it sounds like something got cooked.
That's a sweet reader, hadn't seen one like that before. I'll see if walmart/anyone else has anything i can use..then use their return policy afterwords, and have the newegg one on order....REALLY need my laptop up and running for business/school, but...i need the files secured primarily

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
We've had a lot of HP laptops come in over the past few months with similar quirky issues. HP released a service alert to its service centers regarding this. Even if you are over the 1-year warranty period, you may still be covered.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've had a lot of HP laptops come in over the past few months with similar quirky issues. HP released a service alert to its service centers regarding this. Even if you are over the 1-year warranty period, you may still be covered.

Mines less than half a year, so should be good, main problem is I hope the information is stored. Does upgrading RAM void warranty? If so i better swap in old stuff ehh? I'll check into that information, thanks :rockon

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Mines less than half a year, so should be good, main problem is I hope the information is stored. Does upgrading RAM void warranty? If so i better swap in old stuff ehh? I'll check into that information, thanks :rockon
Upgrading your RAM won't void it. They used to be very anal about it, and technically they claim they "CAN" refuse warranty service if the part was not "professionally" upgraded, but as long as you didn't snap the memory bracket off when installing it they won't say a word. Though if you send it off to HP I'd stick the old RAM in it regardless. They may very well issue a replacement for you and your new RAM will be gone. To get your data off the HDD (which is probably still good), http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ante...sem/rpsm/oid/193359/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

That guy is awesome, and may be a little overkill your your uses, but you can get a SATA enclosue at CC or BBY for about $40 any day of the week. All the DV6000 series laptops I've seen have SATA hard drives. What model is yours exactly? It should be on the sticker underneath the laptop (DV6XXXUS)

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upgrading your RAM won't void it. They used to be very anal about it, and technically they claim they "CAN" refuse warranty service if the part was not "professionally" upgraded, but as long as you didn't snap the memory bracket off when installing it they won't say a word. Though if you send it off to HP I'd stick the old RAM in it regardless. They may very well issue a replacement for you and your new RAM will be gone. To get your data off the HDD (which is probably still good), http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ante...sem/rpsm/oid/193359/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

That guy is awesome, and may be a little overkill your your uses, but you can get a SATA enclosue at CC or BBY for about $40 any day of the week. All the DV6000 series laptops I've seen have SATA hard drives. What model is yours exactly? It should be on the sticker underneath the laptop (DV6XXXUS)
I'll throw in the old RAMif i have to send it off. I wouldn't want to risk losing my 4GB of RAM. Does HP do any local contracting for warranty? that's a bitch to send it away :banghead. It does have a SATA, the link in the first sentence of this thread is my laptop. 6625us

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
I'll throw in the old RAMif i have to send it off. I wouldn't want to risk losing my 4GB of RAM. Does HP do any local contracting for warranty? that's a bitch to send it away :banghead. It does have a SATA, the link in the first sentence of this thread is my laptop. 6625us
Circuit City Firedog benches are certified HP repair places, but if your laptop falls into the service alert it's mandatory for it to be sent to HP. If you want, stick your old RAM into it and take the laptop to your local Circuit City. Tell the Firedog tech what the problem is, let them take a look at it, and HP will figure out what needs to be done from there (not to mention things go a little smoother and faster between HP and retailers). Just know there's a 99% chance it will be sent off, and a good chance that it may be replaced once sent off, so before you do anything, replace your RAM and back up your data. Turnaround time for warranty laptops sent to HP is typically a week to a week and a half. The plus side is if you go through Circuit City, HP overnights the boxes to and from the store, and if HP deems it "dead," they will issue an RMA through the store, and you may be able to pick a new one out right off the store shelf. :shrug . It's wishful thinking, but it happens a lot. If you don't want to deal with it, Circuit City would be your best route to take, and just be sure to call the store every few days after you drop it off for a status update.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Circuit City Firedog benches are certified HP repair places, but if your laptop falls into the service alert it's mandatory for it to be sent to HP. If you want, stick your old RAM into it and take the laptop to your local Circuit City. Tell the Firedog tech what the problem is, let them take a look at it, and HP will figure out what needs to be done from there (not to mention things go a little smoother and faster between HP and retailers). Just know there's a 99% chance it will be sent off, and a good chance that it may be replaced once sent off, so before you do anything, replace your RAM and back up your data. Turnaround time for warranty laptops sent to HP is typically a week to a week and a half. The plus side is if you go through Circuit City, HP overnights the boxes to and from the store, and if HP deems it "dead," they will issue an RMA through the store, and you may be able to pick a new one out right off the store shelf. :shrug . It's wishful thinking, but it happens a lot. If you don't want to deal with it, Circuit City would be your best route to take, and just be sure to call the store every few days after you drop it off for a status update.
Circuit city isn't anywhere near me, or best buy, or any large retailer. Bout 3 hours away :banghead. I'll call their tech's tomorrow and see...the downtime is gonna kill me...can't exactly do everything I need to, at all :banghead

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Circuit city isn't anywhere near me, or best buy, or any large retailer. Bout 3 hours away :banghead. I'll call their tech's tomorrow and see...the downtime is gonna kill me...can't exactly do everything I need to, at all :banghead
Wowzers. That's a good distance. HP may wind up just sending a box to your house. It should still be overnight air both ways. If there is one thing I can say about laptops, it's that HP has, by far, the best customer service of any of the manufacturers.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wowzers. That's a good distance. HP may wind up just sending a box to your house. It should still be overnight air both ways. If there is one thing I can say about laptops, it's that HP has, by far, the best customer service of any of the manufacturers.
I hope so...wasn't expecting this right now..damn thing is brand new :duh. I have heard HP is REALLY good with warranty/customer service, and IMO, have come a long way the last few years in product quality. They got nice stuff! Hopefully they'll take care of my warranty issue quickly...if so, i'll definitely stick with HP laptops. I love my laptop...first issue I've had with hardware, vista is another story :doh0715:

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found out the only "quick" turn arounds are for businses computers with business warranties. Mine will be roughly 2 week turnaround :banghead

Nobody in town carries the SATA readers, mine from Newegg is on the way...a local shop will copy my data for ~30-40$. May have to do it..depends on how long it takes for the HP box/newegg box to get here.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It took roughly 4 days to get a package from HP, then took till the 26th to "showup" in their system..was sent out the 27th overnight mail to me supposidly "fixed", and just arrived. They said it needed an "updated bios"? Seems sorta odd considering the fact that it just DIED all of a sudden?

The Case manager (i escalated it to get some shit done already) agreed it probably wouldn't fix the problem, and it soudned more hardware than a software issue. i just started up the laptop and it works...right now, we'll see..it better be fixed, took 3 weeks! :doh0715:

Also...there's a small watch type battery, CR2032 in my computer, just noticed it? In with my wireless adapter/RAM (upgraded it back to the 4GB). Any idea what this battery is for? save RAM if you pull the battery? or?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
It took roughly 4 days to get a package from HP, then took till the 26th to "showup" in their system..was sent out the 27th overnight mail to me supposidly "fixed", and just arrived. They said it needed an "updated bios"? Seems sorta odd considering the fact that it just DIED all of a sudden?

The Case manager (i escalated it to get some shit done already) agreed it probably wouldn't fix the problem, and it soudned more hardware than a software issue. i just started up the laptop and it works...right now, we'll see..it better be fixed, took 3 weeks! :doh0715:

Also...there's a small watch type battery, CR2032 in my computer, just noticed it? In with my wireless adapter/RAM (upgraded it back to the 4GB). Any idea what this battery is for? save RAM if you pull the battery? or?
It's probably a CMOS battery, keeps your BIOS settings (clock time/date, etc) from disappearing once your battery goes dead/you unplug.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's probably a CMOS battery, keeps your BIOS settings (clock time/date, etc) from disappearing once your battery goes dead/you unplug.
Cool. Also...laptop is running fine now..we'll see if the "bios update" fixed it..don't get it? :shrug

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Cool. Also...laptop is running fine now..we'll see if the "bios update" fixed it..don't get it? :shrug
I honestly don't either, that's quite odd to be using a device and all the sudden a core part of the system just "needs an upgrade" ... odd.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
My vote is for IBM/Lenovo. I have had next day air on parts and tech installs. On laptops that only had mail in service, I had next day box, and the laptop back within a week for a mobo replacement.

I would more than likely bet there is a bad solder joint somewhere on your motherboard, it's the msot common problem. With the high heat and than rapid cool down inside all laptops it causes the solder to crack over time and loose connection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts