Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a new starter so I decided to try putting in one for a 95 f-250 351/c-6. For those that don't know, they are like a factory hi torque mini starter. It wasn't a bolt in swap, as there needed to be some wiring changes as a late model has the selenoid on the starter (ala chebbie) instead of on the fenderwell like the rest of us. The late model starter works SO much better than the old style one ever did. I would be happy to do a write up if you guys think I should. I would definitely recommend this mod to anyone who is going to replace their starter soon.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've owned my Bronco for about two weeks now, I havent even put tags on it yet, and the starter already seems to have gone bad. (may have something to do with my having put it under water)

Do they make waterproof starters?

In any case, I would love to see this writeup.

Thanks.

·
Only the Bronco
978 Posts
it's an easy swap, the starter itself bolts right in, as for the wiring, you need to change a few things, first of all, you need a 4-3 ga wire running from the battery side of the selonoid, down to the main terminal on the mini-starter, then run a 14-16 ga wire from the start side of the selonoid down to the blade terminal, or... go to a wrecking yard and get the proper harness off of a 92 -up Ford Pickup/Bronco or to a Stealership

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose that You could do that, but I elected to ditch the stock solenoid. And yes, there is a big price difference. But I think that it is worh it. The gear reduction unit cost 90 bones as a rebuilt, vs 35 for the stocker. Also, you have to figure in the core charge as you won't be sending back the same starter as you bought. This wasn't a big problem for me as I know a few people in the auto parts business.

Hey when our avitars are above each other they look like "before" and "after".....

:thumbup

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
davids78bronco said:
Bring it on Slappy! I'm sure alot of other guys would be happier with a better starter
First off David.....:lowblow :lowblow :lowblow :lowblow :lowblow

Sorry I haven't done the write up yet. School's kickin my a$$ this term. I will write it soon I promise.:beer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts