Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm new to the site and from what i've read, you guys give a lot of Knowledgeable tips and solutions.

My problem is that, on both sides, when i pull out on my rear axle(not the drum) there is about 5/8" play. i was just wondering what this could be and is it a major problem. thnx in advance

oh yeah, it's a 1990

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
hey look another nut from AZ :D if you havent already introduce yourself and your bronco in the intro forum.

it is pretty typical to have some play in the axle from side to side.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thnx, just curious, didn't want a disaster.

intro forum= will do

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have 5/8" of lateral play in the rear axle shaft that is way too much. Ideally you want minimal endplay on a c-clip axle, 1/8" or less. Having that much play allows the axle to bang back and forth and can damage the cross shaft eventually. I'd recommend geting some thicker c-clips from Ford and trying to minimize the end play.

Rade

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, sorry bout that, i kinda exagerated a bit, i measured it this morning and it was only a little more than 1/8"

·
Registered
63 Posts
90bronconate said:
yeah, sorry bout that, i kinda exagerated a bit, i measured it this morning and it was only a little more than 1/8"
1/8" inch is from what I remember right in the middle of the spec for that, If I can go back into the vault(memory) and dust off the the pages it reads 3/32" to about 3/16"
:thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts