Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled this info from http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/index.php
This is from a guy who attends the Uwharrie National Forest ranger meetings here in NC. Thought you all would be interested since it's the RITS location. (The gun range is only closed until the ohv and horse trails are rerouted)
Uwharrie/Badin Lake OHV Area update - 26 March 06

Trail grooming
The grooming of the trails, water bars and tail ditches, and the turnouts have been completed. Some will not be pleased initially with some sections of the trails because they've been smoothed and filled, but the waterbars and fill spots were left "soft" and not compacted, so the first big rain is going to make a mudfest. Give it about three months and this grooming will probably lead to some of the most challenging conditions the OHV area has ever had.

Trail Closures
It has been decided to close the firing range temporarily in favor of keeping Saw Mill trail open until arrangements to reroute it can be made. The firing range has had some real problems with proper shooting techniques and discipline, and has not been supervised, so it was decided to keep the paying section (OHV) open.

The reroute already exists and needs only the requisite system paperwork submittals, approval, and three culvert pipes installed to become reality. It's not particularly challenging, but it allows us to keep Saw Mill open and is a much better connector trail.

OHV Campground
Deep Water Horse Camp is being looked at as a highly potential OHV campground. Wherever such a campground is located, it would have to be connected to the trail system. Deep Water is next to the lake, and is connected to three closed trails, but will have to be upgraded with proper toilets and trash receptacles before it can be an official camping area, so that's being strongly recommended at this time.

Trail openings
To open any previously closed trail, conditions that brought on the original closure have to be resolved or changed. There are four trails that intersect/merge in the FR576 and Deep Water section. One leads to a very large and extremely important archeological site that will have to be protected. That particular trail is highly visible from one that can be reopened for OHV access to Deep Water, so that problem has to be solved before anything else is done.

The other factor was the Bald Eagle nesting population near the Falls Dam. The eagle population has rebounded, moved to other nearby areas, and the current Uwharrie administration doesn't seem to buy into the theory that the OHVs disturb the eagles any more than the watercraft on the lake, hunters, hikers, and general activity that has not been restricted in the area. This has been our stance from the beginning 10 years ago. At any rate, there is a pretty fair chance that the trail that leads from the Deep Water location to the area of Wolf Den/Dutch John/Falls Dam trail intersections will be reopened before any OHV campground will be in place officially.

Law enforcement
The new NC ATV laws will be enforced, alcohol and drugs will not be tolerated, and off-trail ridng issues will be dealt with by allowing/constructing obstacle by-passes for ATVs and less well prepared vehicles where appropriate and by citations where not appropriate.

The volunteers are asked to record and report license numbers of vehicles observed committing obvious offenses, and as much info as possible regarding the particulars of the description of ATV/motorcycles doing the same.

Signage
The upgrading of and better placement of signage was discussed and ageed that some steps will be taken to correct the lack of info available to the user population.

Volunteer activities
It was stated in the meeting that with fire season personnel demands and the budget cuts, the Badin Lake Recreation Area is completely dependent upon volunteers to get and keep the various facilities open, and that fees will likely have to be instituted for facilities other than the OHV trails. That means that without volunteer participation, there's nothing to say that even the success of the fee demo program will be sufficient to keep the trails open, and that means we need people to respond.

There will be meetings to put together some recommendations for upcoming projects and to create schedules to get them done, and the details will be posted here. More to come.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
Is this going to be an improvement or did they scrape the trails making it glorified drit roads????:doh0715:

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
79F150 said:
Is this going to be an improvement or did they scrape the trails making it glorified drit roads????:doh0715:
Every year the forest service goes through and repairs the man-made erosion from all the vehicles going through over the season. So, at the beginning of the season, it's as tame as it's going to get. By the time RITS rolls around, it'll be way more fun.:thumbup

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
johnski said:
By the time RITS rolls around, it'll be way more fun.:thumbup
Im already giddy :toothless

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Yeah, the first time I went to Uwharrie it was at the end of the season and there were holes that scared me. Of course that was with 2 open diffs, things are a little different now. :thumbup Actually, with the lack of rain last year I didn't think the trails got too torn up.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
UNF rocks! :thumbup

Wish I could go back, but the days of free time and $$$ are a thing of the past. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
79F150 said:
I most certainly hope not. I'd hate to think I spent all this money on my truck only to have a ditch that's more "extreme" than UNF.:madder

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
johnski said:
Every year the forest service goes through and repairs the man-made erosion from all the vehicles going through over the season. So, at the beginning of the season, it's as tame as it's going to get. By the time RITS rolls around, it'll be way more fun.:thumbup

Good I have been torn between this ride or the ECBR ride... I would hate to show up and it be a waste because Tellico is like 4 hours closer and alot of fun to me...:rockon

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
79F150 said:
Good I have been torn between this ride or the ECBR ride... I would hate to show up and it be a waste because Tellico is like 4 hours closer and alot of fun to me...:rockon
Trail grooming or not, Tellico is definitely more challenging than UNF. It's just that I live less than an hour from UNF, kind of makes it my home turf. We need to get back up to Tellico again though, had a good time last trip up there. :thumbup My rig is MUCH better equipped to handle Tellico now, since the last trip up there I've bumped my lift from 4" to 6", went from 33" BFG AT's to 36" TSL's, added a front locker, regeared to 4.56, trimmed off my rear quarters, fabbed up a much higher clearance rear bumper, built some sliders and installed a York OBA. If things go right this weekend I should have a winch up front too. Looking back on that it's hard to believe I did that much work to my rig in one year. Maybe THATS why I'm broke.:shrug

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
Trail grooming or not, Tellico is definitely more challenging than UNF. It's just that I live less than an hour from UNF, kind of makes it my home turf. We need to get back up to Tellico again though, had a good time last trip up there. :thumbup My rig is MUCH better equipped to handle Tellico now, since the last trip up there I've bumped my lift from 4" to 6", went from 33" BFG AT's to 36" TSL's, added a front locker, regeared to 4.56, trimmed off my rear quarters, fabbed up a much higher clearance rear bumper, built some sliders and installed a York OBA. If things go right this weekend I should have a winch up front too. Looking back on that it's hard to believe I did that much work to my rig in one year. Maybe THATS why I'm broke.:shrug
Umm yeah.. that could be :wacko

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
...you forgot the welder...and plasma cutter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts