Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...by Eric Clapton.

Nothing new... I was just listening to the acoustic version; I don't like it.

I always felt that the original version was more of a primal scream of desperation; this one is more the whimper of a beaten man.

That is all.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
...by Eric Clapton.

Nothing new... I was just listening to the acoustic version; I don't like it.

I always felt that the original version was more of a primal scream of desperation; this one is more the whimper of a beaten man.

That is all.
That's kind of the point.

But I like the slower version myself.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Naw, I have to disagree on the opening. The last 2:12(i think) are the best musical jam recorded for a regular song. It's not overdone, or understated, it just is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We named our daughter Layla. My wife had no idea the song existed, and when I played it for her she recognized but thought he was saying baby. :rofl:

One of my friends framed the Layla album for us, its hanging in her room.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I agree with JohnMcD348. From 3:30 on is GOD-like.

·
Custom User Title
1,322 Posts
Oh no I agree the 2nd half of the song where the piano kicks in is awesome as well. Just an great song all around. What I meant was the riff that gets played at the opening and throughout the chorus is so iconic and imho doesn't translate well on acoustic.

BTW whenever I hear that piano part begin I can't help but think of that scene from Goodfellas where the couple is sitting dead in their pink Caddy...

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
A song written to Patty Boyd, George Harrison's ex-wife. George's song Something is 1 million x's better than Layla.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A song written to Patty Boyd, George Harrison's ex-wife. George's song Something is 1 million x's better than Layla.
You can't compare them. :twak They're two totally different type of songs. One is a simple song about a satisfying love affair, the other is expressing the suffering of unrequited love.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
You can't compare them. :twak They're two totally different type of songs. One is a simple song about a satisfying love affair, the other is expressing the suffering of unrequited love.
I was speaking to the fact that they're two songs written for the same woman.

And I agree, the acoustic version sucks.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
all of george harrison's songs are about 1 million times better than other songs...the true genius behind the beatles, not that peace love dove john lennon dude.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was speaking to the fact that they're two songs written for the same woman.

And I agree, the acoustic version sucks.
Actually, I've heard that Harrison denied that it was written for her. IIRC, he said it was just a song he wrote, intending to offer it to Ray Charles to do. She, however likes to claim it was written for her. :shrug

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Oh no I agree the 2nd half of the song where the piano kicks in is awesome as well. Just an great song all around. What I meant was the riff that gets played at the opening and throughout the chorus is so iconic and imho doesn't translate well on acoustic.

BTW whenever I hear that piano part begin I can't help but think of that scene from Goodfellas where the couple is sitting dead in their pink Caddy...

I agree with you on that too. It's like Smoke on the Water. Everyone knows it. Also, I hated GoodFellas after that. Same reason, I always loved this song and seeing Joe get it during that song just changed it somehow for me.

·
Custom User Title
1,322 Posts
Totally. Another song Goodfellas ruined for me is Donovan's "Atlantis". I'll be in a store or somewhere and hearing that song gives me chills now.. All I can think of Joe Pesci's character stabbing the crap out of Billy Batts with the pen or whatever that thing was. lol

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
Totally. Another song Goodfellas ruined for me is Donovan's "Atlantis". I'll be in a store or somewhere and hearing that song gives me chills now.. All I can think of Joe Pesci's character stabbing the crap out of Billy Batts with the pen or whatever that thing was. lol
Go home and get yer f**kin' shine box! :toothless

·
Registered
232 Posts
Go home and get yer f**kin' shine box! :toothless
One of the greatest quotes from the movie. Billy Bats was my hero.

To somewhat stay on topic, I think I'd stick with the original version over the acoustic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts