Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my motor has a lazy lifter, and the reason I think so is because I can hear this kind of like this very faint knock/tick noise when the engine is cold, but once it gets up to operating temperature it's fine. So like SigEpBlue said, I think one of my lifters keeps losing oil and then when oil pumps it up, it's fine. Dead silent. Motor purrs like a kitten. Is this really something I should be concerned about or is it just more of an annoyance than anything? Will it progressively get worse or just stay this way? What's the worst that could happen?

I suppose I could try some heavier weight oil, like 15w-30, but I just changed the oil not all that long ago and with fall/winter coming around, the temperatures will be getting cooler and I don't want to have that heavy of weight oil in there when the temperatures start to get into the single digits.

·
aka: kemicalburns
8,170 Posts
what filter are you running. how many miles on motor. wouldnt worry about it till its noticable all the time.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
It won't hurt anything. Just annoying. Almost all SBFs do that with a lot of miles and regular oil.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQ2DvHUO5Y Would you say this is lifter noise? I hope that's all it is. That's when the engine is started from a cold start. Once the engine is hot and at operating temperature, it sounds great.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone could give me a bit of a diagnosis based on the video I posted that would be great, because then I could go to my mechanics at the shop knowing what the problem already is so I know what to expect.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's probably carbon buildup from you ***** footing around town.

let it warm up and hold it to the floor for awhile.

I'm not kidding.

STP oil thickener or Lucas. I know I need some in my 96 because I don't drive it often.
Eugh, something about using additives though. I don't like the idea of just using a "band-aid" and calling it good enough. I'd rather get it fixed.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
Gotta figure out which lifter, rocker, or pushrod is making the clatter first. Not always easy, and most times it's easier just to replace all the lifters, pushrods, and rockers after ascertaining the valve height is correct.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotta figure out which lifter, rocker, or pushrod is making the clatter first. Not always easy, and most times it's easier just to replace all the lifters, pushrods, and rockers after ascertaining the valve height is correct.
How much would a job like that run?

Yeah, I would be willing to do it too. I love the Bronco too much. Hell I just had a new clutch put in might as well tackle everything else now at the same time.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
How much, as in someone else doing it for ya? No idea. I do all of my own work, and when I've worked shops, it's always been negotiable. :toothless

The parts shouldn't cost too much. Pushrods are about a buck each, roller lifter sets can be had for just over $100, and rockers shouldn't be much more than $8 apiece. The unfortunate thing is that the lower intake must be removed to access the lifters. Whoever does the job, make sure they use the gasket kit with silicone end seals for the lower intake manifold. Cork sucks balls!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much, as in someone else doing it for ya? No idea. I do all of my own work, and when I've worked shops, it's always been negotiable. :toothless

The parts shouldn't cost too much. Pushrods are about a buck each, roller lifter sets can be had for just over $100, and rockers shouldn't be much more than $8 apiece. The unfortunate thing is that the lower intake must be removed to access the lifters. Whoever does the job, make sure they use the gasket kit with silicone end seals for the lower intake manifold. Cork sucks balls!
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll look into it somewhere down the line. As of right now it isn't really bad enough, but if it starts doing it all the time then something will have to be done. I wish I could do the work myself but I'm just not that skilled and don't have the proper tools and space to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.