Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
Dogonmut and myself are using mid 80s chevy blazer leaves with single donahoe shocks. really awesome setup if its not a DD, otherwise its too flexy. I have no idea about using bronco rears, never heard it done before, but it seems like it would work fine.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Norm has bronco Rear's up front. It was cheap,and he has loads of droop but little compression.

Btw... I heard that that was cause of your shackle setup. I have no clue though...I've been drinking. I'll talk about it in the morning =).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Saurian said:
Norm has bronco Rear's up front. It was cheap,and he has loads of droop but little compression.

Btw... I heard that that was cause of your shackle setup. I have no clue though...I've been drinking. I'll talk about it in the morning =).
Actually you've got it backwards. I've got like 7" of compression at the shock and 3" of droop. At least that's what I've measured. I'm using 12" bilstein shocks. (I started with 14" but I was bottoming them out.) I actually think coils give more droop and less compression. Opposite of what I've got.
Here's a pic of me bottoming out the 14" pro crap.

Pic of leaf pack

it looks like alot of droop but like I said it's only like 3-4" at the shock. I've got about 10-11" of wheel travel at the shock. Most of it's compression as you can see.

Both Larston and I used rear leafs up front. He claims I was his inspiration to do it. I'm verry flattered. If you check out his site you can see his workmanship puts mine to shame. Larston I believe used a78/79 D60 which has the spring perches mounted narrower than my 88 D60. I used stock rear F350 hangers and Larson fabbed his own. I fabbed my own front crossmember and hangers. I went with the shackles up front because I felt I would have had to shim the axle way too much to get the right caster angle. That and a Long travel driveline is required because in moving the shackle to the rear it moves the axle in the opposite dirrection of the Transfercase pinion so Big Joints are a good idea too. I like how the shackles in front keep my driveline in a strait line preventing binding and breakage. That and I only had to modify my stock driveline. I had the stock double cardan joint rebuilt and a 1410 U joint attached to the shaft. It's overkill. the 1350 would have been fine but it was so cool looking I had to have it. :) Feel free to ask questions or PM me if you want. I've got some more superford links as well.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
my $.02: 52" springs are shorter and have better approach/departure angles but still flex very well. i would also be careful how much compression you try to squeeze out of the suspension, when you do so you are creating negative arch on a positive arch spring and thats how they break when pushed too far.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Andy351 said:
my $.02: 52" springs are shorter and have better approach/departure angles but still flex very well. i would also be careful how much compression you try to squeeze out of the suspension, when you do so you are creating negative arch on a positive arch spring and thats how they break when pushed too far.
Yeah. I should get around to doing bumpstops. I've considered carrying around an extra main leaf just in case All the same though I've been flexing the rears like that for years.

42s should solve approach issues. I still like keeping the driveline alive and not contorting it . Putting the hanger to the rear forces the pinion angles away from each other under flex. Compromises... What will he choose I wonder. :drinkbud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts