Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the title suggests, I am wondering which type of spring would flex better... a leaf or a coil. I've read "the god of leaf springs sas" and a bunch of other threads, but none have really got to which flex better. I'm planning on doing a 6" leaf lift this summer, but just want to make sure before I go for it.

Another quick question, I've heard varying opinions on what would be harder on a D44 solid, a full spool or a detroit locker. It seems to be like a detroit engaging all of a sudden, making the axle go from a stand still to spinning fast would be harder on it than just having constant pressure on everything. Just running some things by you guys that have done it all before I start finalizing what I'm doing. Finally found a donor 70's F100 though. I'm assuming that would have a D44 :rockon

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
leaves or coils can be made to flex to the same degree using about the same money. just pick whichever you want to use. The spool is harder on the axle 'cause it'll never unlock, so the axles are always under stress. Make sure that F100 has a High Pinion D44, as it's more desirable than the Low Pinion model :thumbup

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does a high pinion have more ground clearance? And I wont be doing extreme flexing... just the same treatment i'm giving the rear for a lift, which is sky shackles and F350 hangers I think it was that I want to do. So it seems that this would be a much cheaper route than having to buy new coils and radius arms. Also takes alot more time I've hard, as hanging leafs is relatively easy.

G

·
coils or leafs pretty much depends on the axle you find, or the axle you look for after your decision has been made.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
I think, that by the time you get the leaves to felx as well as coils, you are prolly a push. Scott, and Andy, have prolly done all the leg work for you, as have the coil guys.
I, for a while, was saying that if i were to redo mine, i wold go with leaves. after watching the spring wrap and pinion changes while climbing ledges and stuff with andy and scott, I would go with coils still. I have come full circle. Both systems have been used, tweaked and fine tuned enuf, that most of the "scoemce" has been worked out. either way you go, you can get good results. It just depends on which "group" you want to be a part of, and, most importantly, what year you have. With the crumple, coils are still easier.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I lean towards the leaf side. It takes a lot of work to make a coil suspension flex well with the stock Bronco suspension. A leaf system is flexier than hell right out of the box if you're using half ton parts. A leaf system is also far easier to tune.

This pic is about 925 on a 20 degree ramp. Coil suspension, wristed arm, a ton of work put in to eliminate bind. Even with all that, almost all the flex is in the rear suspension, the front hardly moves at all.

This is closer to 975 on a 20 degree ramp. The rear suspension is unchanged, the front now has rear leaf packs from an F-150. In this pic, the driver front tire is stuffed into the fender sheetmetal, and the passenger rear tire is jammed into the rear fenderwell, both limiting flex. It's a little tough to tell from the pic, but there is close to 6 inches more droop in the front end, and the body is sitting much more level. This setup is much more stable and capable than the coils were.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Were you meaning a 30 degree ramp in the second pic? maybe it's just the pics but looks to me like the ramp in the second pic is steeper.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, that second pic is impressive. How did you hang the front axle? It says on your superford that you have 4" leaf packs from rear of F-150.. so you just have 4" lift leafs? No sky shackles or anything special? Very nice though, I'm sold on this!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Wow, that second pic is impressive. How did you hang the front axle? It says on your superford that you have 4" leaf packs from rear of F-150.. so you just have 4" lift leafs? No sky shackles or anything special? Very nice though, I'm sold on this!
The front 4 inch lift is stock F-150 springs with extended shackles and hangers. the rear springs are currently a Skyjacker 6" pack with what appears to be a 2" add a leaf removed. That's why it flexes so well, having all the lift in the springs hurts flex. Using relatively flat springs lets it all work.

This pic shows the front flex pretty well. The flex is even better if I back up the ramp and load the front springs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts