Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is approaching which has got me thinking about.. SALT!!!:cry
Last year when I put my new hangers and leaf springs on I did not put grease or anti seize on the shafts of the 6 big hanger and shackle bolts that are in contact with the leaf spring eye sleeves and shackle sleeves.

Now that I've had a while to think about it its starting to worry me.:banghead
So what I've been thinking is that the bolts are going to seize up in the metal sleeves of the springs and shackles like they were on the old springs. Making any future removal very hard and possibly having a bad affect on the way the springs are supposed to function.

So my question is should I take everything back apart and lube up those sleeves/bolts?..Or it shouldn't be an issue and just say screw it.

Thank you:thumbup

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd say screw it. But if it's bugging you it really wouldn't take much to pull them out and put whatever u want on them.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It'll take about twenty years before they're as hard to remove as they were the first time. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The bolts corroding and seizing wont affect how the springs work. Its the bushing that takes the movement long as the bolts were properly tightened. The center sleeve should not be moving or the bolts and brackets would wear out quickly.

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo Eckel,
I agree with the guys!
UNLESS, (as I do at times when I think about rust), when you wake up in the morning, the first thing you think about are those bolts! If so, relieve stress by pulling them and do it. Then when you wake up the next morn, hopefully you'll have non-Bronco things to think about and be happy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have the time fix it make you sleep better. If your like me thats the kind of thing that would just keep bugging me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts