Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Bronco 5.0 Sport. I’ve been documenting my suspension rebuild and lift kit on the forum the last couple of months. I’m almost finished, wrapping up everything in the rear. So, I couldn’t get the bolt out of my driver side leaf spring forward mounting location. I took the leaf spring off and took it to the local shop to remove the bushing. Now I’m having a hell of a time finding the correct replacement. I’ve tried the Auto Zone Duralast and the MOOG SB344 and they are too small in diameter, it just falls right through. I’m thinking maybe since it was the last year that maybe it ended up with a spring/bushing from a F250? Hoping someone else has experienced this. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
i just did a 96 leaf springs and ran into the same problem. i have the part number ... let me find it. i had to go to an industrial suspension shop and have them order them for me. they didn't take long to come in but were about $28 each.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
here you go

there are a few threads about this, most of them are pretty old. however, working on my project 1996 bronco i came across an issue with the forward bushing on the rear leaf spring.

the problem seems to be limited to 95 & 96 model year broncos, based on the threads i found. the issue is the forward bushing on these years is slightly larger than the rest of the years. i checked manufacturers and parts dealers and almost everything listed is for the moog SB344 bushing. that bushing is 1 5/8" (1.625") in OD. my bronco needs something like 1 25/32" (1.78").

i looked online and this forum. i found a few threads where people ran into this problem. one listed a bushing on NPD.com but that number (F-5781-18) was invalid. i am creating this thread for future reference of anyone dealing with this - including me.

i'll skip the saga of how i found it, but this is what i came up with:
bushing either RB229 / RB-229 or also MR704. unfortunately, these are ~$28 instead of ~$8.

i found mr704 through an industrial leaf spring shop.

potential brands include dayton and automann.

dimensions for the needed bushing

Part No. RB-229
Dim (A) 1 25/32
Dim (B) 3 1/16
Dim (C) 3 1/2
Dim (D) 5/8
Remarks F4TZ5781B, F4TA5781BA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you dash_cam...didn’t expect this truck to be so difficult finding the correct parts. So many changes within a short time span!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is this issue only for replacing the bushings? What if I replace the entire leaf springs and it comes with the matching bushings, would I have the same problem? Going to be doing my leaf springs over the next month. I found some on bronco graveyard for $220 a pair for stock height, wondering if I will have the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,353 Posts
Yo,
Aside from broncgraveyard for new leal springs, bushings, etc consider https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/findmyvehicle/

"Find Leaf & Coil Springs For Your Vehicle
(Also Shocks, Installation Kits, & More)

Select the Year, Make, Model, Body Style, and Engine Size of your ride below. Help Ordering Online
If you cannot find your springs in the parts lookup below, call us during office hours at 1 (313) 963-3839. Alternatively, fill out this form completely to request a quote from our sales team."
For example:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts