Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I need a little advice here. I was out yesterday pre running for the MORE race next sat and broke my left side leaf springs:cry. THe question I have is do I error on the side of caution and have both packs rebuilt or just the one that broke. I am leaning to both since I believe it was a wear issue and if the left broke then the right side is probably not far behind. THe right side snapped the two main springs just forward of the rear hanger, they are the deaver F64s. Appreciate any insight you can give. I need to call deaver Monday and see how far this is going to set me back since my Bronco is the primary chase/recovery vehicle i need to have it back up and running by wendsday or thursday at the latest.
On a side note this is making really think about the 2 link sooner than later the springs are only about 2 years old with about 100-250 of hard use on them, and thats a liberal estimate. THnaks in advance.:beer
Jeremy

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that was my thought, it does suck big time, but at least i was able to limp out and have AAA get me......I will be calling deaver tomorrow I really didnt thingk I would go through leaf springs this quick, like i said I guess looking at the 2 link has moved up in priority......on the up said much better it happend this weekend instead of next weekend we are severly lacking in support ofr this race and the Bronc is the main chase recovery rig and I didnt have my trailer with me. Thanks for the reaffirmation that i was not thinking badly...
Jeremy

·
Registered
391 Posts
You have to send both springs, they will have settled and if you only do one then the car won't sit right.
On my stock full racer, we had to re-do the springs at least every 1000 race miles and finished most long races with at least one broken main leaf.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gunit, again that is what I felt was a little tired still when I posted I need to call deaver this morning and set things up, I really didnt think I had been that hard on the bronc though over the last year and a half, I really dont think I have more than about 500-600 miles and that is not at race speeds just some med to heavy pre running, I guess I really need to consider some other options sooner than later. Thanks for the input again.
Jeremy

·
Registered
176 Posts
For the leaf spring to survive in a "go fast offroad" driving scenario you can only ask one thing from it, to support the weight of the vehicle. To rely on the spring to also "locate" the axle is simply asking too much of it. The spring wrap is killing your springs (and is probably causing driveline wear too) and the solution is to prevent that from happening, ala the 2-link setup. I wouldn't spend any more money on springs until you solve the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff, I agree as I learn more and have seen this happen first hand I am totally in agreement. I will be moving ot the two link very soon, unfortunately I need the bronco sat so I just bought a new set of springs neccesity sometimes dictates what is done, but deaver gave me a great deal..40% less than list price so until I cna two link this will buy me some time. Thanks for the input.
Jeremy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.