Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 96 my rear end is sagging and i wanted some input on whether I should go with completely replacing the rear leaf springs completely or should i just do the add-a-leaf option, also i know i will need to replace the bushings should i go with urethane or stick with stock rubber

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
moontraveler1984 said:
On my 96 my rear end is sagging and i wanted some input on whether I should go with completely replacing the rear leaf springs completely or should i just do the add-a-leaf option, also i know i will need to replace the bushings should i go with urethane or stick with stock rubber
Moontraveler

I'm running 3/4 ton springs (new in 99)

with Velvet Ride shackles and air shocks to boot. I run urethane sawy bar bushings front and back as well as in the radius arms too, but didn't know wbout them when I did the leafs.

I run add a leafs on my RWD Mopar cars, but sprund for the big bucks and replaced mine on the Bronco. I had to because I busted the original spring bundles clean in half !

Sixlitre

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
You could also just have your leafs re-arced and put in an AAL while you're at it. Fixed me right up when I did it a few years back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off whats an AAL and second of all where do i get this velvet ride stuff?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Old thread, but it fits the bill

I just installed a 6" Superlift with rear blocks on my 83 Bronco. The rear sits quite a bit lower than the front, which I think is from sag in my leaf springs. I put 38.5" super swampers and it's the rear that rubs, not the front. This is only a temporary set up because I'm going to cut and put fender flares on and maybe a 3" bodylift. Anyway, the rear end being so much lower is really bothering me. I know the options: add-a-leaf, new springs, re-arched springs. I'm only going to be occasionally crawling around in hills, nothing hardcore, and I want to know what you guys think is the best option. I need about 2 more inches of lift and money is always a factor.

·
a renegade of funk
3,243 Posts
dont try and hide youre problem with a aal
replace or repair the leaves and then if you choose to after that install aals:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
First off whats an AAL and second of all where do i get this velvet ride stuff?
Velvet Ride shackles

are for pickups that run empty over rough roads all the time. They are articulated and help cushion the ride, give a bit more control over buckboard roads and really take the harshness out of heavy duty springs.

I realized they were cheaper than new Ford shackles so I gave em' a try and I'm glad I did.

Realize they are for pu$$ies so expect razzing from the real off-roaders:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay, so I've decided the best route is to get new leaf springs for the rear, but now what kind and size of lift spring should I get? Bronco Graveyard has 4" Bronco Superflex Leafs and also some 6" springs (which look like they have an aal). I know 6" block lift kits come with a 4" block to account for the higher front, but if I'm buying new springs would I also get a 4" lift spring to level out my 6" Superlift? or would the 6" spring bring my Bronco level?

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Okay, so I've decided the best route is to get new leaf springs for the rear, but now what kind and size of lift spring should I get? Bronco Graveyard has 4" Bronco Superflex Leafs and also some 6" springs (which look like they have an aal). I know 6" block lift kits come with a 4" block to account for the higher front, but if I'm buying new springs would I also get a 4" lift spring to level out my 6" Superlift? or would the 6" spring bring my Bronco level?
I do believe you need the 4". But I'd wait till one of the guys who has that 6" setup chimes in.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 6 in. superlift and from personal experience, if you want a 4 inch lift get the 6 inch rear springs. If you want a 6 inch lift get the 8 inch leafs. When I lifted mine the rear sat about 2 inches shorter in the rear (enough to look like a prerunner), so I put a 3 inch block and it sits a little ass high but I like it. Just my 2 cents

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
I've heard that re arched springs quickly settle back to stock
i've heard they often settle unevenly too
and that most places do them with a hammer but they settle a lot faster than the ones done with the arching equipment, at work we get springs rearched but we do it to lower trucks so the springback problem is not evident

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
My springs were sagging also so I added 2.5" AAL and it went nicely with my 2.5" lift.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been looking at Summit Racing and I can't believe the rear leafs are that expensive. Maybe I'm just naive. I've considering the Skyjacker Softride 6" Lift Leaf Springs for a crazy $272 apiece plus shipping. There is also the Pro Comp Lifted Leaf Springs item #EXP-23411 for only $166.00 apiece. Any idea on why the Pro Comp is so much cheaper? Are they any good? The Skyjacker leaf says it a 6"-8" lift. That's a big difference. I don't want the back end sticking up an inch or two higher than the front. Anyone run either of these springs? Facts and/or opinions on them would be great. I've want to order some this month and I need some information. Thanks!!

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
I have a 6 in. superlift and from personal experience, if you want a 4 inch lift get the 6 inch rear springs. If you want a 6 inch lift get the 8 inch leafs. When I lifted mine the rear sat about 2 inches shorter in the rear (enough to look like a prerunner), so I put a 3 inch block and it sits a little ass high but I like it. Just my 2 cents
Did you use the stock block when you installed the lift springs?

I guess it also depends on how you want it to sit. The setups you listed I am almost sure would sit rear high, like most people like. I on the other hand want mine to sit level. That being said, when I do my 4 inch lift, I may go with 2.5 in rear leaves in the rear to achieve that leveled look.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ordered some Procomp rear leafs. This spring gives a 4"-6" lift. When asked why the 2" difference, Procomp said it was dependant on the application. On a truck the springs would probably give you 6", but on a Bronco, being heavier in the back, probably closer to 4". I got them from www.4wheelingplus.com. $400 for new springs and u-bolts, shipped to my door. Anyone looking for parts should check out this website. Ron, the owner, has great prices and will beat or match most prices. Tell him bronco-in-training sent ya.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You could also just have your leafs re-arced and put in an AAL while you're at it. Fixed me right up when I did it a few years back.
I already have the AAL but I would be interested in how and where to get my leafs re-arced? since even with the 2 AAL for a 4" lift the leaf springs are still close to flat and i need about 2 inches in the rear to be level.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts