Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I gotta say I LOVE having my own ramp. I'm like a little kid who just got a jungle gym in his backyard. But I learned a lot last nite.

I've only had the Bronco on a ramp once before, and I didn't have time to get out and closely examine things.

First I just started off going forward. I quickly discovered NOBS was right and I'll need to finish off the ramp surface. The 2x3 ladder pieces are 14" apart and the 37's still fall in enough for it to be obnoxious. Since the ramp was on my blind side I stopped once the rear tires hit the ramp (could've repositioned but didn't want to without a spotter):

It was tons of fun to be able to crawl around under the truck:

Once I started backing up I was really surprised. I pretty much maxed it out here, I was able to see what I was doing since the ramp was on my driver's side at this point. I've never seen quite this much travel out of the front before:

Also never seen a front tire stuffed *that* much:

Driver front drooped, the Bilstein still has about 1" avail downtravel here:

This is definitely my favorite shot:

But here's where I learned the most:

That main leaf is from a Moab junkyard and looked _a little_ tweaked as soon as I put it on; nonetheless, you can see that my combo of a stock F250/350 main leaf and a leaf from a rear spring pack doesnt' work together. This is at least part of the reason I broke a main leaf in Moab. The arches are considerably different (the main leaf more or less has no arch while the rear leaf wants to have lots of arch).

Also, it's just too flexy. See that dark object just below and in front of the outermost u-bolt? That's the front of the spring! IOW, there is a TON of negative arch going on here. Also, look at how close the spring plate is to the framerail - I need a bumpstop!

Finally, viewing the same spring from the front, you can see the minimal clearance between my drag link and the spring. You can also see how hard that main leaf has to work. Also, I'd need more lift to run hysteer, look at the top of the knuckle in relation to the framerail.

The plan for now is to take a complete stock pack from an F350 and see how that does. This will have two THICK leaves, rather than my current setup of one thick and one thin. Also their arches will match so hopefully the main leaf will gain better support.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Keith_L said:
Also, I'd need more lift to run hysteer, look at the top of the knuckle in relation to the framerail.
You saw my email about this, didn't you? I'm going to have to move the drag link to the underside of the high steer arm because it's hitting on the damn frame.

The plan for now is to take a complete stock pack from an F350 and see how that does.[/B]
My spring rate is too high as it is.....

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Leaf sprung on the ramp (possible 56k warning)

seboh said:
You saw my email about this, didn't you? I'm going to have to move the drag link to the underside of the high steer arm because it's hitting on the damn frame.

My spring rate is too high as it is.....
Yes, I did see your email which is what made me look at that.

As for spring rate........I think just like anything else it's not just as simple as a number. I'd argue if you take two leafs with identical rates, but one is flat and one is arched........the flat one will flex better. I have NOTHING scientific to base this on, but something *tells me* it's right, and I usually trust my gut (don't have much to lose at least in this case LOL)

Remember Doc always talking about how his buddy used the stock 2 leaf pack in the rear of a YJ and it flexed like mad (of course we don't know how much they were in-boarded, etc)? Well, I believe him based upon how easily that one leaf gets tweaked around. Also, I think I need more spring rate (or I need something, would it technically be spring load?), that leaf is just moving around and getting worked TOO much. I'd welcome a slightly stiffer setup.

IOW, I think you've got too much spring rate *and* too much arch.........or something. Plus your springs are from a completely different application.

Crazed, it's spooky when you're on the downhill side IME

EDIT: and yes, that's the Chin Shen Rancho shock o'crap. Never had time to put the other Bilstien on. Geez, look at my brake line, it's still zip-tied in place from Moab failure.

Of note is that that shock is _completely_ bottomed right there... and the Bilstien is like 1" longer when compressed. I'm hoping with the additional lift I gain from the soon-to-come springs, combined with a bumpstop, it'll just work out.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Leaf sprung on the ramp (possible 56k warning)

Keith_L said:
Crazed, it's spooky when you're on the downhill side IME
I agree, the heavier front drops over once you reach a point, freaked me out

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I dunno... was that junkyard leaf any different than what you already had? I'm not so sure that these springs are really all that different.... unless maybe they're just arched heavier. They're all 3800# or something.... I can't remember the number now, but the axle GVWs were the same.

What I really need is a pair of gas motor F350s.... that would work a hell of a lot better than diesel springs.

And it's not that mine don't flex -- aside from the lack of droop, I stuffed the PS until the drag link hit (1" left) and the DS until the tire ate sheetmetal (~2" left) That's ~10" at the shock on both sides.

But the spring rate is still too high.

BTW -- is that as far as it goes in reverse? Front left all but off the ground?

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
so do you just throw it in park when you get to the top? must make for a nice clunk when going back to drive.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seboh said:
BTW -- is that as far as it goes in reverse? Front left all but off the ground?
Nah, it still seemed completely stable at that point.... didn't see any indication of the driver's front lifting yet.....I was just too chicken to go any further without a spotter around to keep an eye on that driver's front. I'm certainly not experienced with "ramping" LOL.

The last time I ramped in reverse at Zu Zoo I was stuffing the driver's front, and was basically halted by the tire hitting the firewall. Why the passenger front didn't hit the firewall this time I dunno.... maybe differences in the firewall from driver to passenger side.

Fordman, yeah I threw it in Park but it wasn't happy about it LOL. Actually I turned it off to minimize exhaust while crawling around. It killed the ignition, but I couldn't turn the key all the way to "off." IOW, the safety mechanism within the column didn't think it was fully in Park.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Chris, that's basically what I have. One arm on the pass side for the drag link and a solid tie rod in the stock location. There's really not any room for anything more. I thought I'd be able to bring the tie rod up to the underside of the Sky arm, but that's where the drag link is going to have to go.

Of course, I do have the 2nd hole in mine.... I'll have to see if the SREs will fit side by side. If that's the case, I could probably use a stubby arm on the driver's side and make it work. Not sure what that does to Ackerman, tho.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
NOBS! said:
you leaf guys and your steering issues ...go coil! :goodfinge

.... right. Because coils don't have problems with hitting drag links on the frame? It's probably because they can't stuff that well...... :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts