Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another post, my '92 leaks like crazy whenever it rains. I've had water stream in from here:

I was sure it was the forward seal on the top, so I replaced it. Still leaked. Peeled off new seal and reglued it. Still leaked. Peeled and reglued again. Leaked. I finally got it thru my thick skull that it's not the seal. The channel between the seal on the top and seal on the cab was dry right after I did a leak test (running the hose on the cab).

I ran the hose on this seam, near where top meets the cab:

and water poured out from that same lip on the backside of the b-pillar interior. I've read lots about the fix for the cracks in the roof at the rain gutter, but nothing about fixing this seam. Any idea how to fix that? Sealant? Welding? Chewing gum?

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Automotive Seam Sealer Black Ultra Flex - Caulk Tube
Price: $11.51
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by TCP Global Corp.
Apply to painted or raw steel panels with a standard caulking gun.
Duplicate sealed factory seams on hoods, firewalls, trunks, and floor boards.
Sealer sets up in less than 2 minutes and can be painted in 45 minutes.
If required, it can be sanded for a smoother finish.
Fits regular caulking guns. Remove end cap prior to insertion into your caulk gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Seam-Sealer-Black-Ultra/dp/B001EC8JU6

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks M!

By the way, your site has been a huge help for me! It's now my first stop when I have a Bronco problem.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
yo,
ok, thanks!
Sometimes I wonder if my site has any use. I know a few other people use it and cite it in some posts here.
Will keep it going as long as I wake up each day...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I used RTV in the gutter and the new side mirrors due it high heat resistance, but I wonder if it will hold up to UV rays for long lol. Oh well it was a old tube lying around. BUT now I know to use "seam sealer" another Q of mine answered for me by this site! FSB is great.

·
Registered
834 Posts
yo,
ok, thanks!
Sometimes I wonder if my site has any use. I know a few other people use it and cite it in some posts here.
Will keep it going as long as I wake up each day...
Woah.. I thought that was a welded peice?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do you know if the top part is glued in also?

I had a guy from California send me a pair of clean ones but, I thought I had to weld them in.
The tape shows where the new ones have been cut.
I was under the impression that they were welded top and bottom but, if they are glued in, then I will try to do it myself...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seams on mine have been painted over. What's the best way to clear it out for a fresh start?

I'm terrible with a caulk gun. I usually tape the area, run a pretty wiggly bead and then smooth it with a wet finger. Will that work with Seam Sealer?

PD

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
The seams on mine have been painted over. What's the best way to clear it out for a fresh start?

I'm terrible with a caulk gun. I usually tape the area, run a pretty wiggly bead and then smooth it with a wet finger. Will that work with Seam Sealer?

PD
yes, but you do not need to get your finger wet....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that liquid soap? Does it have to be Dial? Not trying to be smart...just asking.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts

PD
tape horizontally above & below seam to protect paint
Use single edge razor blade to scribe a line horiz area betwen tapes
Scrape out the old stuff carefully;
I bent a cheap ice pick into an L shape to remove grout, sealers, caulking etc. Better Half later gave me a hook set as a gift

Just like this... and I'm trying Not to buy new tools! lol

7 Piece Pick and Hook Set
Item # 93958

All-purpose tool set for punching, scribing, removing O-rings.
$8.99
Two straight picks, large and small
Two hooks, large and small
Two 90° picks, large and small
One 45° combination pick
Heat treated high carbon steel and durable polystyrene handles
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-pick-and-hook-set-93958.html

·
Registered
212 Posts
LOL no it doesnt have to be the gold dial. Good thought though. Yes it is liquid soap. You can use shampoo or any other clearish soap or KY if you're nasty hehe. That is just what my dad taught me when installing kitchen and bathroom sinks/tubs and smothing the caulking out to a glass finish. You can use any kind JUST DONT ACCIDENTALLY MIX THE SOAP AND SEALER TOGETHER WITH YOUR FINGER. If you do you will have tiny air pockets from the soap getting under the sealer and it will leak. Use minimal soap, but make sure its completely around your finger tip. Once you start to smooth it out, do not stop, make one long pass and that should do it! Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Y'all are all full of great advice. Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it turns out.

PD

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Woah.. I thought that was a welded peice?
black-on-black 4x4 Nope, get out to the truck and take along a magnet lol. It will NOT stick
yo, Since ToddMcF2002 mentioned this threads in another post; I'll add;
That Extension Panel; also ref. to as a "sail panel" (esp in the old Contour forums for that car) is metal; a prev. owner or shop may have used alum or even plastic panels to replace a damaged piece.

Info, Image and Sources; "... Ford describes it in Roof Cracks Repair Procedure TSB 96-20-11 by Ford for 80-96; altho Ford doesn't list a PN for it; it is just described as "Reinforcement – Body Side Inner Panel LH & RH (Sail) in my site. But Ford also describes it as an "Extension Panel" as shown in this diagram & listing by miesk5 at FSB
[IMG]http://www.partswebsite.com//stores/partsimages/partsM/MC92260.gif

Extension panel Right
4. Lock pillar Right

Extension panel, Extension panel Left
List Price : $43.76
Your Price : $34.57

3. Extension panel Right List Price : $43.76
Your Price : $34.57

Catalog Note: LH or Left = Driver Side; RH or Right = Passenger Side

===========
Also listed here; but no image
https://www.bowenscarff-fordparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.htmlExtension panel, Extension panel Left

List Price : $39.78
Your Price : $29.84
Extension panel, Extension panel Right
Your Price : $29.84
Catalog Note: LH or Left = Driver Side; RH or Right = Passenger Side
==========
and here too;

http://www.newfordparts.com/ifrm_browse.phpExtension panel, Extension panel Left
Your Price : $31.82
Extension panel, Extension panel Right
Your Price : $31.82
==========
So give em a call to see if it's still available; otherwise it's yard cut-off task.

GL

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I used RTV in the gutter and the new side mirrors due it high heat resistance, but I wonder if it will hold up to UV rays for long lol. Oh well it was a old tube lying around. BUT now I know to use "seam sealer" another Q of mine answered for me by this site! FSB is great.

How is paint gonna stick if U use this ????

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
SO this panel is actually Seam Sealed into place and glued, not welded? Amazing. I had no idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts