Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was rebuilding my window regulator motor, and when i went to put it back in the passenger door, about 5 minutes into it, i hear something that sounds like a dog peeing, I looked over and see green anti freeze coming from under my dash all over my carpet. It was coming from under/behind the glove box. I snapped a pic with my phone but it doesnt have a flash, so its hard to see.
It stopped leaking after a minute or two, but i dont know what it was or why it did it, as far as I know it hasnt happened before.
It is a 93 F150 4x4 btw.

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
mildew, antifreeze leakage, just the obvious due to moisture and coolant loss. unless you clamp off the supply hose, or keep he heater off someohow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know why it would just start leaking out of the blue like that? It was like 805 degrees here today so the heater definatly wasnt on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yup heater core. You can disconnect the heater core lines that run from the engine bay through the firewall and connect them together until you can get a new heater core. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
heater core definitely. and the tend to do that just because they can. they just decide one day, "im gonna piss all over ol' boy's carpet today!"

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,063 Posts
Do you know why it would just start leaking out of the blue like that? It was like 805 degrees here today so the heater definatly wasnt on.
Heater cores are one of those things that just fail with age. Rust build up and deposits are usually the main culprits, and you didn't need your heat on for it crap out.

Like these guys said its an easy fix. By the way, where in Jax are you? We're having a get together the weekend of the 16th, you can check out the thread here. Also, I'll send you an invite to our NE Florida group.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Allow engine to cool and release pressure from system, then disconnect heater hoses from heater core tubes, and plug hoses.
Working in passenger compartment, remove glove compartment assembly.
Remove seven screws attaching the heater core access cover to plenum chamber.
Disconnect vacuum lines, then remove the cover with the vacuum harness attached.
Fig. 20 Disassembled view of heater case

Remove heater core from vehicle, Fig. 20.
Reverse procedure to install.

thats the all data info on how to replace it, says 2.2 hours. looks really easy compared to some other cars where you have to remove the dashboard!

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
small thread hijack:
is it safe to assume the radiator is as bad off as the heater core.. i.e. if a heater core goes out, is it probably a good time to replace the radiator too, like doing brakes in pairs?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
small thread hijack:
is it safe to assume the radiator is as bad off as the heater core.. i.e. if a heater core goes out, is it probably a good time to replace the radiator too, like doing brakes in pairs?
at our shop we dont. it would be a good idea to inspect it though. I do always replace all the water hoses at the same time though

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
how do you inspect it? drain fluid from the bottom i gues and look at it?
just look for signs of leakage on the outside. sometimes radiators will seep before blowing completely.

but yea, if your radiator is 10 years old, it might not be a bad idea, they really arnt very expensive.... and if it keeps you off the side of the road......

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Go get a new heator core from anywhere, they are all basically the same.
Open the hood.
On the left there is a going to be two hoses going into the firewall.
Remove the hose clams and the hoses from the bibs..get new hose clams($.99 ea)
Open your glove box, pull in the tab on the glove box, disconnect the safety line.
Get a 1/4 socket(i think?) and remove the 8 to 10 bolts holding a black box in place.
After removing all of the bolts, tug on the box, it should pull right off, at this point its gonna take some finess to get this cover off and out, same to the heater core that you are now staring at!
Remove the heater core, you dont have to be too carefull.
Install new heater core.
Re-assemble.
Enjoy your leak free heater!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
BTW, other than the current truck that i own, i have replaced the heater core in every bronco that i have owned!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help guys! Ill get a core this week, but im gonna go snatch the bad one right now, well maybe ill wait for it to cool off a few degrees. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way, where in Jax are you? We're having a get together the weekend of the 16th, you can check out the thread here. Also, I'll send you an invite to our NE Florida group.:thumbup
I live on the north side in dinsmore, almost callahan. I saw the thread. Im not sure if i can come yet, but ill know soon enough, it would be cool to come meet you guys, I'll let you know soon enough. Thanks for the invite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea why....but these heater cores go all the time. I think I've replaced mine 4 times so far in the Bronco....but then again, it is 26 years old and has over 180,000 miles on it. Mine never has leaked like this before....usually I just start getting that smell of maple syrup and the fog that won't go away on the window. Hardest thing is, on my 84, the only replacement ones that fit in the box are the copper replacements, the aluminum ones are slightly larger and don't clear the way the box where it is located is slanted at the bottom.

Just praying mine in the Cougar doesn't go.....I've had one apart before and even with the whole dash out its almost impossible to get to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok , i did it, and I was supposed to connect those two hoses right? Not cap them?
HEres some pics.

I cut a peice to connect those hoses together

1 - 20 of 22 Posts