Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another issue...does this drain tube leaking underneath, on the passenger side indicate a leaking heater core?.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I have no AC anymore. It was removed before I dropped in the engine. I looked inside the Bronco at the passenger side floor and don’t see anything.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense though that it is the heater core, since I just recently hooked it up after removing the bypass setup I had. Oh well, back to the bypass....

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did some web surfing looking for this drain tube. Certainly looks factory. anyone know anything about it?

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is it possible to get heater core coolant dripping from it?

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
1,999 Posts
So is it possible to get heater core coolant dripping from it?

Yes.

This isn't the greatest pic, but here is the inside of my heater box.

My a/c evaporator is gone and right below where it sits is a small recessed hole in the center, underneath all of the leaves in my box. Behind the evaporator is the heater core, which you can see in my pic. If your core leaks it could run down below the evaporator and into that hole, which is above that tube in your pic. If it leaks a lot there's a good change it'll run past everything and leak out of your box and onto your floor pan. If you run your heater and have a leak in the core you can also have the coolant come out your defrost vents as a fine mist and coat your windshield to the point it looks like an oil spill where it changes various colors and you can't see out of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Makes sense though that it is the heater core, since I just recently hooked it up after removing the bypass setup I had. Oh well, back to the bypass....

Yes. The heater and AC coil share the same box and pan. It is certainly the core. Lucky for you without ac you can access the heater core fairly easily.
you get to it completely from inside the cab. If you open the box under the hood you will be opening somthing not meant to be opened ever
Lots of people make that mistake. Including me

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! I put the bypass back on. I’ll get to that heater core later. Too hot and humid....

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
555 Posts
during re-installed a new heater core 2 screws fell into that hole, and are not stuck at the lower drain end of the tube.
its factory, got the same as you show on the pix.

My A/C evap unit is not in anymore, and I am chasing for a non A/C heater setup, to get rid of the big black box in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
46 Posts
Also IF the drain tube should get cut or torn off at the bottom. You might want to put a screen over it . To keep the mice out. It happened to me and can cause you to loose heat in the winter and maybe stop up the heater blower motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts