Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen this being mentioned before but stupid tapatalk wont let me search for specific keywords. PO had some gasket sealer around the access panel that goes to stop the leaking but I scrapped it all off as it was really janky. Is there a useful way to prevent water infiltration besides the weird semi plastic sheet used at factory assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
I’d image a lot more water comes into the tailgate from crusty window seals than from the access panel. But if you wanted to seal up that access panel and are opposed to a silicone based goop, maybe some of that sticky backed foam weatherstrip stuff?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d image a lot more water comes into the tailgate from crusty window seals than from the access panel. But if you wanted to seal up that access panel and are opposed to a silicone based goop, maybe some of that sticky backed foam weatherstrip stuff?
Well thats just the thing, I have new weatherstrips on the whole truck including topper seals yet water is still coming somewhere near the tailgate

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is is coming in when you drive it in the rain or when it just sits
Well I don't have wipers right now since I busted the last wiper switch and havent swapped in the one @Doosenberry ; sent me yet so rain is coming in as it sits

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,311 Posts
New window seals never hurt. I got all the rubber for the window and tailgate for my 93 from LMC. When I put the rear outer window seal in I put a bead of marine silicone across it to seal it to the tailgate on the outside. That made me feel better about the shitty fit without silicone.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,259 Posts
driver door...

tailgate...

I use 3 mil or better construction site garbage bags, unfolded and cut to fit. Clean the surface inside the gate, above the open panel area, interior brackets and just over the handle. Your choice of strong and durable tape can be laid out 1/2 was along the top plastic sheet edge. Roll/fold the bottom side of the plastic sheet and slip it into the gate. Firmly secure the exposed 1/2 of your taped edge to the area you cleaned earlier. Unroll the plastic sheet to lay between window glass and internal gate handle bracketry, etc. Done. The plastic hangs over the opening, acting as a watershed so all water penetration can run out through bottom drain holes (when properly maintained). I've had no issue with it getting caught up in the window glass or other mechanisms, just hanging loosely and only secured across the top edge... but potentially can if you are extending the glass with the tailgate open and down, repeatedly. Making sure the top edge of the adhesive tape is secured tightly and firmly because any tape edge exposed to water will cut the useful life by more then 1/2 or much worse, depending on your exposure.

I also recently replaced most of my gaskets but water will get in the gate, regardless. Watershed and clean, clear drain holes ensure long life of both the tailgate and the bed and help to minimize humidity from trapped mud, wet carpet, etc. Over the years... and I can't explain exactly why, we've seen tailgates without a watershed and water leaks that cause rust from the gate... all the way to the bed drop pocket behind the door well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have some thick ass garbage bags in the top of my pantry I think. There’s some big ones, but then there’s some THICK ones. You’re welcome to them. Check all the bags in there, you’ll know when you’ve got the right ones. Husky brand maybe. They don’t fit my cans unless I stretch them so they just sit there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.