Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I change my air and oil filters, I also change my crankcase filter. It is a carb'd 351w HO. My question is, after a few hundred miles or so, oil tends to get into the air box. Is this normal or not? And it just keeps building up after a while. So I'm usually cleaning it every weekend when I have time. Just this past weekend I checked it out and my filter was covered and drenched with oil. So I went down to the store and bought a new one. Just using the throwable Stock cotton/paper or whatever they're made of.

So what can I do to make this stop? I do not have emissions to worry about. I will be running to a open K&N soon. Anyone else have problems with this and what did you guys do?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Are you talking about the breather filter that is in the air-box?

·
Banned
22,675 Posts
No, it's not normal. Your PCV valve isn't working. Either it's bad, or your engine is creating too much crankcase pressure for the PCV to remove. It might be from a leak (bad gasket somewhere), or from blowby (worn rings/exhaust valve guides), or from blocked oil drain journals (sludge). The first, cheapest, & easiest step is to change the PCV & breather.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah, I change it then it keeps happening. After about 150-200 miles oil starts getting into their again. I'll post up a pic of what I'm talking about for the people who are kind of confused at the question.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
my 89 did that after 250K miles, the oil would get so bad it would pool in the lower part of the air box. I used to add 3Qts a day.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
If changing the pcv valve doesn't fix it then it's probably blowby. Worn rings on an old engine. How many miles?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
around 149,xxx. don't have the exact numbers. But what can I do to fix this if it is the rings worn out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts