Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a good way to plug an intake that blew out the front rubber gasket? My 89 leaks pretty bad but I don't want to do an intake gasket yet as I plan on pulling the motor and doing a rebuild after fun season. So, I was just looking for some decent 'get by' ideas.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Anyone know if a good way to plug an intake that blew out the front rubber gasket? My 89 leaks pretty bad but I don't want to do an intake gasket yet as I plan on pulling the motor and doing a rebuild after fun season. So, I was just looking for some decent 'get by' ideas.

Nope, not any quicky cures that I know of...........

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
fix it right, or carry extra oil, or just replace the engine now

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might get lucky if you can clean the surface good (maybe q-tip with carb cleaner on it or a rag covered screwdriver) then get some of that rtv in a pressurized can (like ez cheese) and squirt that stuff in there, but the surface needs to be pretty clear of oil residue for it to stick. I did that to an oil pan on a truck one time to get a few more months out of it before a rebuild. I'd check the oil regularly though cause it may still leak some.

BTW I never use those rubber end seals when I replace an intake cause that's all they're good for is blowing out. Every intake I've ever replaced gaskets on personally or at work gets a 1/4" thick bead of either black or gray (they are for oil, don't use the blue cause it's for antifreeze) silicone and let it tack up for about 5-10 minutes before setting the intake back on. If you do this try to set the intake straight down with out much sliding so you don't disturb the silicone, and make sure the block and intake surfaces are clear of oil or it will leak.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
BTW I never use those rubber end seals when I replace an intake cause that's all they're good for is blowing out. Every intake I've ever replaced gaskets on personally or at work gets a 1/4" thick bead of either black or gray (they are for oil, don't use the blue cause it's for antifreeze) silicone and let it tack up for about 5-10 minutes before setting the intake back on. If you do this try to set the intake straight down with out much sliding so you don't disturb the silicone, and make sure the block and intake surfaces are clear of oil or it will leak.

RTV inside of a engine is bad news. eventually it will plug stuff up.

if your blowing the gaskets out you have a few issues that will cause that.

improper installation
exxcessive blow by causing high pressure in the crankcase
non functioning PCV
incorrect fit of block, heads and intake...typically caused from heads being milled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts