Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the oil pan gasket in my 92 Bronco leaks pretty bad. I've tried to loosen the pan and squirt gasket material in but it's just not good enough. If I pull the engine to do this, what else should be replaced in the process? I want to avoid something else leaking in the future that will cause me to do this again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
how many miles on the engine? what is the engine? 4.9/5.0/5.8? what does the engine look like? is the block covered in oil? IMO i think its a good ideal to at least do the rear main seal, and oil pan gasket, and then for safety & peace of mind, you could do the valve cover,intake and head gasket. but thats up to you i just bought a 4.9 and it sounds great, and i inspected the cyl. walls and they looked great too, i plan to just do a gasket overhaul myself.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Leaking valve cover gaskets (common with Fords). I've been told the ford racing ones are good at stopping that. They are rubber with the metal core. It would be a lot easier get them torqued down with the engine out.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Replace everything but the head gaskets. Use ford gaskets for everything if you can. For sure buy the ford oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you're pulling the engine, you should replace every gasket you can, and replace the timing chain while your at it. Don't forget the valve stem seals as they are usually included in the gasket kits.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I highly recommend Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus Valve Cover Gaskets.

Inspect and/or replace your exaust gaskets if required.

Inspect your TAB/TAD Valves and hoses while you can access them.

Look closely at the grounds to your frame and block.

Heck, I would even rebuild those dirty old fuel injectors!

And finally clean the entire engine bay.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
SeatleFSB,
where do you get them cool sleeves for your ignition wires?

Thanks,

Glayd

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many miles on the engine? what is the engine? 4.9/5.0/5.8? what does the engine look like? is the block covered in oil? IMO i think its a good ideal to at least do the rear main seal, and oil pan gasket, and then for safety & peace of mind, you could do the valve cover,intake and head gasket. but thats up to you i just bought a 4.9 and it sounds great, and i inspected the cyl. walls and they looked great too, i plan to just do a gasket overhaul myself.
The engine is a 302, I've got 139k on it. The only thing covered in oil is the exhaust pipe under the leak. Other than a cracked drivers side exhaust manifold it really runs and sounds great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts